Need Advice. Headlight Has Fogged

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

JoeAbbott
Prelude Enthusiast

Need Advice. Headlight Has Fogged

Post by JoeAbbott »

Hey everyone.

I hope I've posted this in the correct forum section. If not, please forgive me. I couldn't find the troubleshooting/problems section.

Anyways, I own a 01 Honda Prelude, of which the headlight (driver side) has gotten foggy. It's certainly not as transparent as the passenger side light. At first I wasn't sure why one was foggy and the other wasn't, but then I took a closer look at the foggy light and noticed a small crack on the outside casing. I believe this crack has allowed moisture to enter the light. I've heard of people restoring their headlights with special DIY kits, but I've decided to take the route of simply replacing the light with an aftermarket light from an online store. I found two sites that I particularly liked, but I'm unsure of whether or not they are legitimate businesses. Furthermore, I don't want to fall prey to a scam. Has anyone purchased from either of these sites and can verify that they are a legitimate business? The following parts match the OEM number of the one I need. Thanks in advance.

http://www.autolightcenter.com/honda/pr ... 99#MjE0OTA
or
http://parts.sonshonda.com/products/gb/ ... 0-A02.html

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Need Advice. Headlight Has Fogged

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Joe,

I don't have experience with either of those sites. If you're looking for an OEM part, I can recommend www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. They run a respectable operation, and have great prices.

Good luck with the repair. I think you've made the right decision to just replace the unit.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

I ventured off once and bought replacement lenses for my Accord....... BIG mistake. Definitely not Honda parts, half-assed made and they started leaking within a year. My advice is stay away from the aftermarket stuff. It's not all bad, but, you get what you pay for. A $400 dollar part for under $200 -- too good to be true, then it probably is.

The price that Son's Honda has is the same as my local dealer. And that's still way too much for my liking.

The same part from Majestic Honda (the link that Spiffy provided http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com ) is over a hundred bucks less, (*add shipping and tax). If it were me, I'd go with Majestic. You'll get genuine Honda parts and they're nice guys over the phone. I added the part into a cart and "checked out" and it came to $280 with shipping, no sales tax added. If they do charge sales tax for your order, it won't be more than 10 percent (probably more like 7) and even then it's still a better deal than Son's Honda or my local Honda dealer.

Part No. Description Unit Price Discount Total Price
33101-S30-A02 HEADLIGHT UNIT, R. $260.67 $260.67
Subtotal $260.67
*Sales Tax: $0.00
**Shipping Charge $17.29
Handling Charge $4.95
Total $282.91
* Sales tax if any, will be applied while confirming your order.
** Additional charge will apply on oversized items. You will be contacted with shipping cost.
Oversized Is anything over 108 inches length and girth combined.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Also, for future reference, Honda America has a website for Genuine Honda parts.

http://estore.honda.com/asp/logon.asp?bhcp=1

You enter the vehicle info and then it will give you a listing of all your local Honda dealers (USA) and you can then pick the dealer you want if there is one close to you, and then pick your parts.

I use the Honda eStore to check the local dealer prices and then comparison shop the same parts at Majestic Honda online -- AMAZING at the difference in prices sometimes.

Just FYI.

IndianDrives
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by IndianDrives »

Best way from my point of view is to get the accessories form the Honda service centre and get the problem solved soon.

prelerepairman
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by prelerepairman »

I had this problem so I removed light unit, dried it out, sealed it and taped the glued seal.Lens was opaque so sanded with 1000 grade wet and dry (using soapy water) then polished with an electric drill fitted with a soft pad. Bingo...no moisture and bright roads!