Your thoughts please

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

LudacrisH22a95
Prelude Enthusiast

Your thoughts please

Post by LudacrisH22a95 »

Heya, so I think I joined up here somewhere around 2010 and made a grand total of 7 post shortly after I bought my first Prelude which btw I loved nut things changed and....................................................ive always regreted getting rid of that car :twisted:

Anyway. I live in New Zealand and I have found me a little bargain or well I think is anyway its a 92 Prelude so 4th gen I believe, sorry been a while but here is a link:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =663678313

I just wanted to get everyones thoughts on the whole VTEC + Turbo thing going on. Ive heard them and seen them and LOVED them, but apparently they come with a fair amount of tuning work required and very tricky to do so $$$$$$$$$ will be required. I have spoken to the current owner and everything is set up and ready in the car and he has managed to just removed a couple of things so taht even though the turbo, intercooler etc is all bolted up and its spooling the turbo its not actually pooring any boost into the manifold. I has had it hooked up and ran about 5psi through it and said that once you hit vtec you can puit boost through the motor and it actualy runs ok. Funny I thought but anyway if I do go for it I will take it in and get it done. Now again thoughts please guys, as even though I think its a not to bad deal i still feel it to be perhaps risky in some way. I think that ultimalty what I am asking is can this car with the right tuning have reasonable poer and be realiable as a dialy driver??

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Your thoughts please

Post by spiffyguido »

Body looks nice and straight, so that's a plus.

Don't be surprised if you have to put some time/money into making it run well though if it's having turbo issues. RedRacer has a turbo on his 4th gen and might be able to shed more light on particular things to watch for.

The real question in my mind is whether or not the engine is in good shape still. Perhaps you could just delete the turbo and have a reliable daily driver on an ordinary H22 engine. Assuming the turbo hasn't botched up the engine you may be able to just pull off all the turbo stuff and return it to stock form and have a nice daily driver.

So, in short, proceed with caution and doublecheck everything. I'd do some compression checks on that motor and ask about any other failures.