P 5 L -1 head

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

last honda
Prelude Enthusiast

P 5 L -1 head

Post by last honda »

suppose to be a 97-01 JDM F 22 B prelude engine! jumped time. bent valve's. can't match the P 5 L head, no one has one. What can i put back. :roll:

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: P 5 L -1 head

Post by spiffyguido »

I've never heard of that head before, and a quick search seems to confirm that it is quite rare.

That said, the F blocks are all pretty similar. Can't say for sure, but a head from another F22 should work fine. You'll need to keep your distributor as JDM distributors are different than USDM ones. Other than that, should be straightforward.

Pics? If you've got the head off we can dig up a picture of a normal F22 head to make sure the water and oil lines will match up.

last honda
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by last honda »

You and everyone else, and i've talked too a lot . have been researching for a month.pic, would be great, @ this point i'm leaning toward parting it out.
I hope people that put this #!^%& out can sleep @ nite.
And thank's for the infor.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Just did some further research.

P5L is an ECU designation for an OZDM 97-01 Prelude. I should have clarified this earlier, but your head won't actually say 'F22' on it. Only the block has the stamp. Heads are designated using a code that generally matches the ECU. For example, my head says PK3, which is also the ECU code used in a 3rd gen 2.1 litre prelude.

Thus, P5L is the type of head that you have, but if you're shopping around, everyone will just call it an F22B head, because that's the engine it comes on.

Does this help?

last honda
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by last honda »

yes, and tks. will i be able to find a head? do you know what the valve's are, .0 .35 or .030 not sure what that is .looking at parts and this is what was asked. are there other member's looking at this post? that might know where i can find a head?
And TKS again.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It's easy to find heads on ebay.

Not sure what those numbers correspond to. They might be related to a particular dimension of the valve, perhaps the valve seat. If you can locate a shop manual for that engine you might be able to compare those numbers to the specifications for the valves. Better still would be to just seek the guidance of a Honda dealer about choice of valves.