tail lights dash lights out.

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

icu2gel58
Lude Dude

tail lights dash lights out.

Post by icu2gel58 »

All of a sudden my tail lights and dash lights stopped working. I had an aftermarket remote door opener installed about a year and a half ago...Right after that, I lost all my lights. I went to Honda and they said there was a short, and they fixed it.....now a year later, it is happening again. Any ideas of what could be the problem ? I haven't checked the fuses. But I don't think that's the problem

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: tail lights dash lights out.

Post by spiffyguido »

I'd start by checking the fuses, but if they check out, you've probably got another short. Perhaps there is a part of your remote door opener that is causing some problems again.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Check both the fuse blocks, in engine compartment and under dash. Maybe you'll get lucky.

If not, and this is the exact same thing that was happening that the Honda dealer fixed, I'd take it back to them and raise hell even if it is out of warranty (which it probably is) and find out what they did and ask why their "fix" has failed?

If all else fails, head to a local auto-electric shop. One that has been around for a long time preferably. Wiring circuit traces are not cheap, last time I had work done on my Jeep after my idiot neighbor was so kind to rewire my trailer light harness when he borrowed it and it ended up melting the entire main fuse block -- it was running about 90 bucks an hour for trace work. Maybe you can find somewhere cheap or cheaper.

Good luck!

Chaz
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Chaz »

2000 Prelude just had the same thing happen. No dash or tail lights.... Checked all my fuses and even messed with the signal switch a bit. Is there anything I can do to verify the signal switch is bad as I think it is the culprit in my situation.. ty

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You could multimeter both sides of the switch and see if the switching mechanism toggles connectivity. That's the simplest method of testing the switch I can think of.

Chaz
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Chaz »

Very cool... Ty
Just wanted to reply back and let all know that it wasn't the signal switch after all. I replaced it with a new one and had the same problem. So as I was frustrated I went through a wire diagram and found the red/black stripe wire that is part of the harness plug just above the fuse panel inside the car. Wiggled the wire and Wall Lah!! Thanks for the quick response as I am impressed with this forum and how it is run... : :) :)

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

No problem.

And thanks for reporting back with your resolution. That does a great deal to help others.

LITTLETOMMYG
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by LITTLETOMMYG »

MOST OF THE TIME IT IS A SHORT WILL CAUSE IT TO BLOW THE I THINK ITS THE SMALL LIGHT FUSE