96 prelude missfiring on all 4 but runs fine h23a3

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

bb2owner
Prelude Enthusiast

96 prelude missfiring on all 4 but runs fine h23a3

Post by bb2owner »

I have a 96 prelude with an h23a3 and I have a cel for misfiring on all cylinders and a random got a diagnose and said everything was fine but didn't know why it was throwing those coded any help!!!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 96 prelude missfiring on all 4 but runs fine h23a3

Post by spiffyguido »

Which code(s) exactly are you getting?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14

KCKippenhan
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by KCKippenhan »

Your computer might possibly be sensing misfiring upon startup. Does your car start hard or right away? Could have been that you were misfiring at one time and the problem went away but the codes remained in your computer's memory. I would clear the codes and see if the cel comes back on.

bb2owner
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by bb2owner »

It starts right up I lost the paper that they gave me with all the codes on it but the car starts right up no problem and pepboys cleared the codes for me and when I was on my way home it came back on would changing the ecu help?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Changing the ECU is very likely not required. As KCKippenhan mentioned, you're probably just having some sensors providing feedback to the ECU that raise an error code.

This links describes how you can check the codes yourself. It's very easy:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14

KCKippenhan
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by KCKippenhan »

I highly doubt your ecu is the problem, I wouldn't recommend replacing it at this time. The first thing I would do is get a list of every code currently activating the cel. P0300 is random multiple misfires, P0301 is a cylinder 1 misfire, P0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire, and so on. Many times you get those codes along with another one such as an O2 sensor, egr, temperature sensor code, etc. Any of those codes would not necessarily cause your car to run any differently, but could trigger other codes and cause your cel light to come on. Be aware though, that a code is merely a starting point. An egr code can point to many different problems, so don't just replace parts because there is a code. Faulty wiring, vacuum leaks, carbon build up, etc can often time be the real problem. If you'd like, get me all of your codes and I'll help suggest things you can do to narrow down your cause of the problem. Hope this helps, good luck.