2nd Gen '87 Prelude Project/Build

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

wanted-4-living
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 2nd Gen87 Prelude SI

2nd Gen '87 Prelude Project/Build

Post by wanted-4-living »

I'm just going to repost the whole thing with updates...>>; i forgot to keep tabs on what i was doing. XD

((apologies for the miss-post thread))

Story: For about a year, i have wanted this vehicle, i love Honda, been loved Honda for a long time. I had a good job, good pay and i talked to the lady that owned it several times about making payments. She was selling it for $900 firm. That car wasnt worth that amount so i steered clear. The next few weeks, she asked to speak to me and because my b-day came around she lowered it for $800. (just for me lol) Whoopie!
But the problem was, i didnt have that good pay anymore, my hours were cut and such. About 'almost' 4 months ago, I met a guy, (im a girl YES) and we've been dating for a good amount of time.

About a week ago, he came home late and he usually isnt gone when it gets dark. Well, of course i questioned him!! And he can't keep a secret to save his own life, so he let me know he made a payment of $100 for the car. The lady was gonna sell it for $600 to him and I was gonna get the car I had wanted for almost a year. <3

oh yea. dropped an H22 in her
9-21-09: He bought the car, took most the day to start it, but brought it home. I hugged it XD. And well, I got my Honda~~ yay!

Motor Specs:
A20 2.0 Fuel Injected PGM-FI.
(takes Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil)

Exterior:
Good- blue, short-spoiler, sunroof.
Bad- rust on quarter panels, rust on fuel door, rust on doors, passenger window motor bad, needs valve cover gasket, needs a tune-up, NO exhaust and needs new tires/rims. Last owner got backed into, hood dent, grill cracked.

Interior:
Good- Center console clean, clean interior. Power-motor, locks, windows, mirrors, and sunroof.
Bad- needs shiftboot, speakers, needs radio/deck, interior carpet.

pics:

day to day work:
9-23: tagged, insured and moved.
9-24: brake switch replaced, passed inspection (hehe)
Oil change (i did my first one) changed the fuel filter and learned more about the motor afterward.

2: Replacement Emblem on hood
3: Before Christmas: Muffler and exhaust fell off...doesnt sound any different.
4: Approx Dec. 29th (my dog passed away at the age of 9 years): Mother backed her 86 bronco into the front of my prelude. There was alot of damage to the front. Bumper is cracked. Grill is cracked more. The hood is dented..again..after it was fixed. New emblem is shattered. Wires are sliced for headlights, they blink here and there from time to time. Hood latch broke because it shifted forward. (fixed it) Need new hood, front bumper, fender, grill piece and emblem.
5: Novemember? Main relay fixed permanently! Installed a switch to turn the fuel filter on and off. (confuses the crap out of people who try to start her! No stealing lmao)
6: Figured out the problem with the speedometer. ALmost. It works only if the E-brake light is on. Maybe a rig with the wiring? I can deal with it. Odometer/Tripometer works now after gaugecluster wire replaced.
7: Window motor needs to be replaced on passenger side. Found one. Save cash to get it.
8: Fixed her high serge and idol problem.
9: Fiancee bought two sets of blue undercar kit neons. that might be a bit flashy. -shrugs- im up for it.

Found a white 87 Si prelude in the junkyard..
-It has a mint clean spoiler, non rusted gas door. Beautiful passenger side fender and Hood. She has an SI badge i must grab! Must get parts. Motor is good as well. Spare parts a +!

Still alot to do:
She'll be an antique this year. o.o

- 16" rims
- full body repair
- paintjob- midnight blue
- HID conversion Headlights
- Headers (ordered on ebay)
- Cold Air intake (weapon)
- Flex pipe
- Sway Bar (front and rear)
- Alxeback
+ ceramic brakes
- lowering kit
- Sensatrac Struts
- Sterio System
- injectors

This project will be updated daily~
Feel free to ask me any questions <3
I'll answer the best of my ability.

((pics to come soon))

+update+
there has been alot of work done to her since i last had the build thread. its an old one from (honda-tech) but they dont help much with preludes. so why not gather in my own crowd.

Hi im Kandis! Im a 21 female prelude driver of a 2nd gen. 87 honda! i drive stick no auto for me!

I'll update when i get the chance. we just power washed the motor. gonna paint the valve cover. just recently found out the windows run on fuses. so my passenger window didnt roll down for a good while after the motor was replaced. but! hey replaced the fuse it it rolls like a charm. I need a new dash tho. if anyone has any clues?

it was stolen once. my deck ripped out, dashed snapped and such. the glove wont close anymore cause of this. (f*uck thieves) anyway. she is a work in progress and well on her way. Can't wait to meet you other enthusiasts. <3 :D

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 2nd Gen '87 Prelude Project/Build

Post by spiffyguido »

Welcome, Kandis.

We're glad you've joined us.

Thanks for the very detailed history of your car. Sounds like you're very committed to keeping it running, which is always appreciated around here.

I love the 2nd gen ludes. Have had two of them myself, and both were superb cars.

Regarding your dash: The great thing about the 2nd gen dash is that it is made up for modular components, so you'll be able to rebuild it piece by piece if needed. I have always found auto wreckers to be the best place to get things like this. If you look, you'll be able to get lots of dash parts at a wrecker for a very low price. Your blue interior is fairly common, so you should have much trouble finding stuff that matches too.

wanted-4-living
Prelude Enthusiast

Lets see..updating from phone so it might look odd.

has water in the relay for the lights the other day and her left eye started "winking" nonstop. that was amusing enough fir 5 minutes.

umm..removed the auto cruise completely. made more room in the engine bay.

found out the popping is comin from the exhaust so getting a replacement.

when i read up and found out the celica is a rival i giggled cause my fiancee's car is a 94 gt celica! awesome.

i love my little 'lude. i really do. The outside inst all that nice yet. but under the will look mint. getting a cold air intake next week. so how that goes.

as for the question of the day?

Q: which wheels (rims) are best for the prelude?
i
only know of 2 (stock) the spiderweb is the ones i have.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The rims you get are really up to you. There are lots of options.

The bolt pattern is 4x100. There are lots of wheels that will fit, including almost anything from an 1980s or early 90s Honda Civic.

I personally like rims from Rota and BBS, but there are many other good brands.

wanted-4-living
Prelude Enthusiast

sorry spiffy, didnt see you there in my phone. It's not the best device for internet.

But yea. I've always had eyes for this car. I dont quite know why. but i think i do now. I'm actually very fond of the del sol and once owned 2 88 civics (4 door)

I love driving her!!! She takes turns like a breeze and sometimes I dont realize exactly where im going at times. My finacee promised to help me build her for the next car show here in va. She's turning out nice.

thanks for the dash information! I was completely stuck on the thought i would have to permanently have the glove box shut. She just has too many cracks.

my speedometer tho is the worst part (yes. it makes her unique) but it only works if the brake light is on. that might not make sense. umm... here's an example.

Im driving down the road, no speedometer telling me how fast im goin. BUT if my brake fluid is low! then it works. She tells me when to put brake fluid in lol.

another thing i need is a master cylinder. mine is trashed/coroded. I still drive her. but i do worry.

wanted-4-living
Prelude Enthusiast

spiffyguido wrote:The rims you get are really up to you. There are lots of options.

The bolt pattern is 4x100. There are lots of wheels that will fit, including almost anything from an 1980s or early 90s Honda Civic.

I personally like rims from Rota and BBS, but there are many other good brands.
I reeeeally wanted my friend Konig rewinds. but they arent 4 lug. so im not sure what i want...i like the Rota brand too but im not at all experienced in rims. >>

wanted-4-living
Prelude Enthusiast

so i was driving on the highway. and i noticed that the rpm's rised to about 8ooo....oh crap.

my 5 speed is now a 4 speed. and all the work i planned to do. is a problem with money matters. I have no 5th gear. it shot.

I dont know what to do. my fiancee says he's not rebuilding or replacing the transmission...and for the price. it wouldn't be worth it.... -sigh-

Cancer
Lude Dude

Post by Cancer »

Hey hows it going I seen that you found a parts car... Im also looking for some parts I need a front drivers fender and a new hood if you could let me know if theres any around that would be awesome im in BC canada and cant find anything in all of canada