My 87' Prelude will be a 10 Second Car.

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jorel
Prelude Enthusiast

My 87' Prelude will be a 10 Second Car.

Post by jorel »

Well I decided to jump on the Lude Enthusiasts Train. Ive come to conclusion Im obsessed with my 87' Prelude. I have had this car about 6 years and it has been parked being worked on. I was given the car for free for xmas of 2003. It had a blown engine and didnt run. I wish I had pictures of it before I started working on it, because it has come a long way. I am getting close really close to registering it and driving it. The Engine and tranny have been done for a couple years now and run like a beast. Im a serious prelude junky for doing this. My 87' Lude has the Dual Side Draft Carbs. I rebuilt them myself and had a honda dealer synchro the carbs since that was only part i didnt know how to do. I bought me a Helm Inc Repair Manual and it has helped a lot. I have around $10k into engine and tranny and it had been overbored and sleeved for lower profile high compression pistons. The Stock motor came with 97 HP and it pushin 119 right now. Very Light car and really scary fast. My Speedometer goes to 140 and I havnt been clocked but at 140mph it was at 4500rpm and I kept going to 7k rpm, so im guessing i was doing around 155-160. Ive got my air cleaner running directly into exhaust and looking for more options. Im not switching to FI and I want to tap the potential out of these carbs. I think I might be able to hook up a sneaky pete nos system into the side drafts but not sure. The Engine was built by myself and everything inside is built to handle nos. I have a secondary rpm gauge and ive topped rpms at 9k. I originally had stock tranny on new engine and in 3 hours of test driving the new engine i destroyed the tranny, so got a custom built tranny for it. 6-Speed!!!!! tranny alone was $4k. Interior will be all Sparco and havnt done that yet. I got a Megan Racing Muffler System on it. I removed catalytic converter and ran straight pipe with the megan and it howls. I need some kind of force induction air system for more air flow since air cleaner has very small inlet. The car losses almost 10hp from just putting air cleaner on so I run it with it off. But Im removing body lines in the car, i dont like the molding. Ill be sure to post pictures. Hey Guys I know a lot bout this car if anyone is having issues. All window trim is staying off and blending in windows to paint with black window silicone. Im custom fitting a demon aas(Andys Auto Sport) from a 88-91 prelude and adapting it to fit this one. The kits for the 83-87 suck horribly. Some im putting on a 88-91 demon aas body kit. I have coil overs for all 4 wheels but need to put on body kit before I do coilovers to see how long im gonna go. I have also replaced complete suspension front and rear, everything is brand new and not used. Calipers are painted, rotors are painted. I also have 4 Wheel Disc Brake which is nice, I hate drums on back. All wiring has been replaced and body has or will be sandblasted before painted. I also have American Racing Spyder Wheels and Falken Tires on them. However the rims have been stripped of chrome and sandblasted and ceramic powder coated with a texture called black wrinkle and look freakin awesome. Feel Free to leave any comments. Ill try to post pics soon.

Daniel

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: My 87' Prelude will be a 10 Second Car.

Post by spiffyguido »

Sounds like you've done a lot of work on it. I can't wait to see the pics.

Cancer
Lude Dude

Post by Cancer »

Hello i have just baught an 87 prelude and i fell in love with it right away. i would like to start doing what you have done to yours and was wondering if you had any tips on what i could start doing to improve the performance of my engin. but the thing is, i want my prelude to still be ecinomical, cause its a daily driver so i would like to start putting things into it while im driving it before i have to do the crap that takes the time

grimhady
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: gen 2 1986

Post by grimhady »

Hi I gota 86 lude wiit da twin carbs I'm from south africa is there any way u can help me out I just can't seem to set the vacuum lines onda motor I bought the car wit engin inda boot bought new one but problem is I can't sort out da vacuum lines any help would b apreciated