Air filter

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

84reeko
Prelude Enthusiast

Air filter

Post by 84reeko »

How goes it? I'm new to the forum and have very little mechanic know-how, so I guess I'll start simple. I'm running around in an '84 and the previous owner tossed the original air filter system, and in it's place duct-taped a spectre air filter on. I'm wondering if it'd be easier to hit up a pull apart and get an original setup back, or find the appropriate connector and clean the current filter or buy a newer filter?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Air filter

Post by spiffyguido »

Going to a wrecker might be one solution, although I'm concerned about how many parts you may have to acquire to get the stock setup back. If you have access to a good auto wrecker, this might be a good option.

Easier might be to just improve the installation job of the previous owner. Duct tape isn't a great way to attach a cone air filter (which I'm guessing is what you have). You'll need to measure to make sure, but the engine side of the cone filter you have probably has an inside diameter of 3". Then measure the diameter of your throttle body opening (I believe it's around 2.25"). All you have to do is get a reducer pipe that will allow you to go from the 3" diameter down to the throttle body diameter. Then just fasten everything with the screw type hose clamps and you're good to go.

84reeko
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 84reeko »

He tossed everything that runs down towards the front, but kept everything that runs parallel with the firewall. Ill look around for some pics to get a better idea before I go about this, but thanks!

Also, I've recently noticed a kind of "glug" noise from around the drivers side of the engine and only pops up when I'm accelerating and speeds up with it as well. It's not loud, but I can easily spot it out from the other engine noise. Any ideas?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Would you say the noise is a mechanical sound? Or is it a hydraulic sound of sorts? The drivers side of you engine has all the accessory belts and such. Could the sound be originating from your alternator, power steering pump or air compressor pump?

84reeko
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 84reeko »

I'm only guessing that it's mechanical because I dont know what a hydraulic sound would sound like.
As I said earlier, I have very very minimal car experience and this prelude is my first car though I have had it for a while and have had help whenever things go awry on it. Sorry I can't be more help in helping you help me lol

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Would you be able to get us a video of the sound. That might help.

theodorebell
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by theodorebell »

Does air filter really boost the performance of the engine??? Or it is nothing but a bad addition to our vehicle???

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The idea of replacing the air filter with a performance setup is generally to allow air to more smoothly flow into the engine. Filters like the ones offered by K&N have higher airflow rates than conventional filters. This has a very small impact on horsepower.