V-tech conversion

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

lucci
Prelude Enthusiast

V-tech conversion

Post by lucci »

I have a 91 Prelude with the non-v-tech B21 engine. I don't want to go through the pain of putting a h23a1 in it to get a v-tech engine. I want to know if there is any way to convert my B21 into a V-tech engine or even buy a b21 and convert it out of my car? what do i need to do and how much would it be?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: V-tech conversion

Post by spiffyguido »

It isn't possible to convert the B21 to a VTEC engine.

If you really want VTEC, the easiest thing to do would be to swap an H22 into your car. The steps to do this are well documented on the web. Easier still is to just purchase a newer prelude that is originally equipped with VTEC.

lucci
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by lucci »

I have seen that i would have to switch the most if not all the brackets and mounts for swap for a h22a1.

Could i swap the b21 for b16b type R?

I guess the real question is "how could I get a an extra 60 hp or more out of my b21 with out a turbo?"

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Post by 91darkness »

If you know a custom machine shop who does mounts it could be possible, but no one does this. There was a guy who once built up his prelude to attain more horsepower, but by the amount of time/money you need do all this you could easily swap in an h22, or buy a vtech like spiffy said.