air conditioner in 1991 lude si (B21A1)

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

khryce
Prelude Enthusiast

air conditioner in 1991 lude si (B21A1)

Post by khryce »

Hey folks. I recently removed my engine and had a machine shop overhaul it completely. It's reinstalled and running but my question is this... do I have to purge the a/c system before putting new refrigerant in? I'm completely in the dark as to how a/c systems work, but I've seen posts here and there about how they are under pressure and such, so I'm curious as to how to get my a/c back up and running without potentially damaging it (due to my lack of knowledge on the subject). Many thanks! :?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Re: air conditioner in 1991 lude si (B21A1)

Post by 91darkness »

The R12 refrigerant is what was originally in our preludes. It has been discontinued for years now. Depending on if you are the original owner or not will determine what is in the system now. A good system flush would get out the old the old stuff sitting in the system. You will have to go to a shop for this because of the harmful affects of releasing it out in the air. AC systems run on R-134a now. There are kits to recharge your AC system, but you will have to buy the adapter for this. It is not expensive. The only problem with the kits is charging it with the right amount of oil. Too much bogs down the system and the air doesn't get cold. When i had a shop check and charge it, it cost me $90 w/tax. Most shops will put in the UV dye also. This helps detect any leaks....and worse detect bad parts.