Question regarding hood parts + other prelude noob ??'s

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Waldnerman
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1991 si

Question regarding hood parts + other prelude noob ??'s

Post by Waldnerman »

Hey there, I recently got a 91 si ( i got a really crazy deal) but there are a few small issues with the hood and headlights. For the hood, I need new hinges as one of them is rusted right through. I was wondering if I can just grab some from a similar car, an accord or something. Also the latch itself needs to be replaced. Just need to know what is interchangeable. Also the headlight surround (black part around the headlight) needs to be replaced. Also (just a side note) there is an oil leak, I can't seem to figure out where it is, but to be fair I don't know where to really look other than around the oil pan. Is there anyplace an oil leak higher up on the engine tends to occur? Thanks in advance!!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Question regarding hood parts + other prelude noob ??'s

Post by spiffyguido »

Congrats on the Prelude purchase.

Hood hinges might be interchangeable with other models, but I'm not sure. An Accord would be the most likely donor. I'd suggest heading down to a wrecker (self-serve if possible) and see what you can find. Any hinge from a 3rd generation prelude should work, so you should be able to find at least one.

The hood latch might also be interchangeable, but I'm not positive.

The headlight surround will have to come from a Prelude. You won't find one of the same shape on another car.

Regarding the oil leak, I suggest that you start by cleaning the engine with some degreaser. This gives you a fresh starting point and makes it easier to spot current leaks. There are lots of places that the engine could be leaking. The head gasket, valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket are the most common. Clean up the engine, then just watch for where fresh oil appears. If you're unsure of which gasket is affected, post up some pictures and we'll help you out.