Circle Track Racing

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Circlejerk
Prelude Enthusiast

Circle Track Racing

Post by Circlejerk »

I'm new to the Prelude and am just learning the cars.

I bought an 88 4ws and a 90 4ws to convert to circle track cars. We race in a stock 4 cylinder division, so i can't make any major changes to the engine or drive train.
I am wondering if anyone is aware of any "tuner" tips to get more horse power from my engines, possibly more torque.
Has anyone tried the 4ws on a circle track? I'm not sure if we crank the wheel far enough to make the 4ws activate...has anyone tried it? Would shifting the front alignment to one side make it react quicker?

Any tips from the Prelude Pro's would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Re: Circle Track Racing

Post by 91darkness »

I would start with the basics. HE54 NGK wires $38.18, NGK Laser Series Platinum spark plugs #4363 $12.07/each, An air intake(modified) or K&N drop in. Exhaust: depending on how much you want to spend on the exhaust will determine that setup. These things will provide some basic horsepower gains, but again it all depends on a budget. I think between everyone on this site, we could tell you what setups we have used.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

+1 for intake and exhaust. Minor gains to be had there. More power can be found with new cams, forced induction, etc.

I'm not sure how 4ws would be on the track. There's another member (ticus007) on this forum that races a 3rd gen. You might want to get in touch with them: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1819

Circlejerk
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Circlejerk »

Motor needs to be "stock". Or at least stock appearing. i was wondering about injectors, air injection, timing, anything to bump her up a bit. No headers or cams allowed. Not sure if I can get away with the K&N that's in it.
No turbo's or huffers allowed. Budget isn't so much the issue, I just wanna be the fastest car there, while still being legal...Handling is the biggest key, but a few more ponies sure doesn't hurt.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

In that case, I'd focus on making sure you have good spark plugs and wires. You can play with the timing to bump up the power a bit. I believe several prelude owners have found that advancing the timing a degree or two makes a bit of an improvement.

Putting bigger injectors in can help a bit as well.

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

you could try putting on the intake manifold off the b21. This may be still considered stock. Bore the throttle body (maxbore.com).

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

91darkness wrote:you could try putting on the intake manifold off the b21. This may be still considered stock. Bore the throttle body (maxbore.com).
This is a very clever idea. The B21 intake manifold is more or less a direct bolt on. You might have to jimmy with the sensors a bit, but in the end, you'll be better off. The B21 manifold doesn't have secondary runners, and it has been proven time and time again that it flows far better stock than the B20A5 intake runners do.

For the record, you need the COMPLETE intake tract to make this switch. The plenum from the B20A5 won't bolt to the runners of the B21 intake manifold. You've got to get the whole thing.

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

i just remembered a picture in the back of my mind. there is a site for performance 3rd gen stuff. Its (gude.com) These guys do circle track racing. mabye they know some tricks also, wont hurt to ask. The site still exists.