Cylinder Head Removal

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ns_wrestler130
Lude Dude

Cylinder Head Removal

Post by ns_wrestler130 »

Hey guys, blew a head gasket in my 1990 SI, i have the b21a1 in her, i have it most of the way pulled apart, but kinda got stuck with the rest of the removal. I have loosened the bolts for the cam, but not really sure how to get the caps off after the bolts have been removed. I know i need to pull the cams to get to the head bolts, any advice on getting the caps of the cam would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Cylinder Head Removal

Post by spiffyguido »

As I recall, the caps are bolted down. Remove the bolts, and then pop them off. I don't recall there being anything complex about it.

If it helps, I've included a picture of one of my B20A5s with the cam pulled:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/7_2 ... directlink

ns_wrestler130
Lude Dude

Post by ns_wrestler130 »

I got it, thanks for the reply though. Im new to the Dual overhead cam. I have rebuilt american V8's before but new to this 4 cylinder design. I have decided to not just replace the head gasket. The engine has 188 thousand on it and i figure as i dont need the car as a daily driver that i will remove it and do a full engine rebuild. I plan on rebuilding completely stock, and want to use all oem Honda internals, does anyone know of a good site to order OEM parts at a decent price.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

h23vtecunidentified
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by h23vtecunidentified »

yea u can get the car off the ground and take the bolt off the bottom of the mont thats attached to the intake and the back of the oil pan thats was the easy way for me to do it i tried for two days untill i found the bolt on the bottom