Locked Front Passenger Tire on 91 Si ALB

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Trukis
Prelude Enthusiast

Locked Front Passenger Tire on 91 Si ALB

Post by Trukis »

Alright I'm new here, a friend recommended this site. I'm having a "little" problem with my 91 Lude Si ALB.

My front passenger Side brakes "lock up". When the Brakes are applied and released, the Caliper doesn't fully release, Reassure stays. The only way to release the pressure is to let out the bleeder on that Caliper. But when the brakes are applied, they just lock up again.

I found this out by jacking the car up. The wheel doesn't spin freely and requires quite a bit of force to move.
The "face" of the rim also gets rather hot after driving it for a bit. This is probably just the heat caused by the brakes always "being applied"

All Calipers, Pads, and Rotors have been replaced and are new.

I'm guessing its an issue with the "ALB" system?

This is rather broad, and i'm probably leaving out a lot of info. so if there's anything else required just let me know.

Any information is greatly appreciated. And if there's anything i should try just let me know.

Thanks in advance. =]

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Locked Front Passenger Tire on 91 Si ALB

Post by spiffyguido »

I suspect there is probably something mechanically wrong with your caliper.

On an 86 lude, I had a similar problem. What had happened was the pins that the caliper floats on had gotten all gooed up, and the caliper was getting jammed in a position that applied a lot of force to the brake disc. My wheel would heat up as well.

What you should do is take the caliper off the caliper mount and check that the pins that the caliper floats on are clean and well greased. They are protected by rubber boots, but if some moisture got in there, you may have some problems.

Trukis
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Trukis »

Alright thanks, il check that out. Although im almost certain its not the caliper. As before i replaced it, the old one was "locked up" as well. I assumed it was just siezed up, so i put new brakes all round. But that same tire is still locked up.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You can always yank the fuse on the ABS system to take it out of the mix.

Trukis
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Trukis »

I tried yanking the fuse as well. still locked. I'm probably going to remove the ALB system completely. Run new brake likes from master cylinder.

Does anybody have a schematic for how the brakes/ brake lines are set on an non ALB 3rd gen lude?

Thanks.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I'd advise against yanking the ALB system. It's highly complex, and it's not the type of thing you can just put back in one day if you change your mind.

With the fuse out, and the problem still there, I really think it has to be something mechanical.

At any rate, the service manual in the manuals section should have all the schematics you need.

Trukis
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Trukis »

I'm not really planning on putting the ALB unit back in. I just want the cars front tire to be able to move again, and for the brakes to work.

The sensors, and pretty much everything else for the ABS system are already gone. so its not going to work again. Finding replacement parts is also very difficult, and expensive.

Just wanna get the car mobile again. Not being able to put the ALB back in isn't a concern for me.

Thanks.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Clean the bolts, pins, guides, etc. Everything. That's where I'd start, especially with the bushings the calipers ride in. Clean, and re-lube everything with silicone grease, Sil-Glide is a good choice.
http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/automotive/154

ABS does not/can not hold residual pressure in the lines. I don't think it is a fault of the ABS, functional or non.

On the other hand though, if you get release by tapping the bleed screw, that tells me the problem could be hydraulic.

But I'm leaning toward a bad seal with the caliper or the caliper itself is no good. Caliper mechanics are mucked up somewhere, I feel that more than I do the ABS or hydraulic.

And yes, that wheel is going to grab all the residual heat from the brake being applied to that wheel while driving, that's all that is.

Follow up and let us know what you find when you do.