Clutch install

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

theGhost
Prelude Enthusiast

Clutch install

Post by theGhost »

I have a 1989 2.0si 4WS, and I need to install a clutch. I really want to do the job myself to save money, and to learn. Anyone have any advice? I know I need to turn the flywheel too, and I don't mind paying someone to do that. Is there someplace I can buy the clutch-kit cheap? Thanks a lot guys!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Clutch install

Post by spiffyguido »

I've noticed that Amazon is a great place to get aftermarket clutches. The Exedy clutch there is very reasonably priced.

The procedure isn't that hard, but it will take some pretty serious elbow grease. Hardest part is just getting the transmission out of the car so you can change the clutch disc and pressure plate. Some people think it easiest to just pull the whole engine out, but I typically suggest that people just remove the transmission and leave the engine in the car.

I suggest you start by studying the service manual to see the procedure and ask questions from there. I'll give you the main points:

-Lift car. Remove wheels, separate lower ball joint and suspension fork (where it clasps to strut). Together with potentially separating the tie-rod ball joint, this will give you the required clearance to pull the axles out of the transmission.
-Remove axles. Be ready to catch spilling transmission fluid. Clean up impending mess. Be careful not to remove boots from CV joints or damage the axle seals in the transmission.
-Detach any wiring or cables that are attached to the transmission.
-Detach shift linkage cables.
-Unhook transmission mount that attaches tranny to the engine bay.
-Detach clutch slave cylinder from transmission body.
-Fasten transmission to engine hoist, or place transmission jack underneath transmission. If the car is lifted high enough, you can take the transmission out the bottom. Alternatively, it may be easier to take it out the top. The transmission is heavy, likely weight about 100lbs, so don't expect you'll be able to lift it out. Using a hoist is the safest way to get it out.
-Unbolt the transmission from the engine block, check to make sure all is clear, then slowly hoist out the transmission.

Keep in mind the above is a very brief overview. Just take your time and make sure you've removed anything that could get in the way.

theGhost
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by theGhost »

Hey thanks! Awesome advice.

theGhost
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by theGhost »

Update, my Prelude clutch is installed and working great, but it was a hell of an experience.

Back in '99-2000 when I first owned the 89 Prelude, I did a clutch install with my disabled uncle, and it took 4 hours. For some reason, my friend and I took 3 days on this.. starting at 8:30 and stopping at 3, breaking for lunch etc. The car fought us at every step. My buddy certainly has all the tools. Floor jack, jack stands, wrenches and extenders of all types, air hammer, etc., but bolt after bolt, we discovered just how hard this car was going to be on us.

1st Day - Managed to finally drop the tranny
2nd Day - Got the clutch in, resurfaced flywheel of course, and after a ton of work got the tranny back up on it, using an engine lift,
and me under it to guide. What finally splined it was when my friend cranked the motor just right and it flushed the bell housing.
3rd Day - We had a problem because we didn't bolt the speedometer transducer before we put the tranny in. The whole 3rd day, yesterday
was spent fighting the passenger side sway-bar to line up with the bolt holes. But we did it and put her back down.

Couple things: The car runs like new, since its got a new clutch and gear oil. The transmission it turns out was in great shape and I power sprayed it at the car wash before reinstalling.
My buddy ripped my temperature sensor wire, so I need to replace that. Also, we couldn't manage to bolt down the speedometer transducer, so my speedometer is jumping
up and down, and not reading.

Other than that, I'd have to say that it was quite an education. I've always appreciated my Prelude, but performing one of the hardest repair jobs on the car has given me a sense of pride that paying someone else to do it would not have. Thanks for all your help and thanks for reading!

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Great thread.

Thanks for reporting back on your progress. We really like to hear back from people regarding their projects.

It's normal to run into problems, but it sounds like you persisted quite nicely through each challenge. The most important thing is that you completed the job yourself and learned how to do it. You'll never have to pay someone to replace your clutch again.

Thanks again for following up, and if you've got any great pictures of the job, post 'em up.

theGhost
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by theGhost »

I have to take pics of the car.. didn't take pics of the job itself. Thanks for your feedback Spiff!