New to the forum

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

90Ct4ws
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1990 4ws

New to the forum

Post by 90Ct4ws »

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone here. My name is kevin, I live in CT. I have a 90 4ws swapped with a b20a5. I bought the car for $300 running and driving a few months ago. Since then I have replaced just about everything short of engine internals (intake, exhaust, entire ignition system, new alternator, fixed the power steering pump leak, oil change, o2 sensor, etc etc.)
Last thing on my list prior to the honda cancer fix is installing my gates race timing belt, adjustable cam gears, seals, water pump, thermostat, and a b21a1 exhaust cam. At which point I will also do a valve lash adj. and double check the ignition timing. After that she will be running better than brand new.
As far as what to do about the rot, I am torn. its pretty bad in the rockers and above the rear wheels and goes a bit into the trunk. I bought a half of a prelude at the junkyard and im in the process of drilling out all the spot welds and removing the rear quarters which are in considerably better condition than my current ones. Which then leads to my issue. I cant weld and the price quotes im getting to do it are ridiculous! to say the least haha. Any thoughts on this? I feel like im in too deep, but I love her so much.

The day I bought her:

Bought some rims(now just needs to be lowered) Idk why my father felt he had to be in the picture lol

Prelude half woot! (Way dirtier than it actually is. after a quick bath it looked brand newish)

I have since painted the VC white and started a wire tuck, I just dont have any pictures on file atm of the new engine bay with intake and whatnot.

Thanks to all in advance who read this, and Ill get more pics up of my progress as soon as I can.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: New to the forum

Post by spiffyguido »

Great post!

Love the pictures. Sounds like you're making real progress. Always good to hear of someone who is restoring a lude.

Getting the replacement rear quarter-panels was a good move. As far as I know, the actual welding required to get these in place isn't that much, so it might be a good opportunity for you to learn. I don't know if you have access to a welder, but a simple MIG welder is sufficient for this type of work. If it's too pricey to have someone do it, watch some videos online and learn how to do it. Get some practice metal and give it a shot. Welding isn't as hard as it looks, especially with a basic wire-feed mig. I learned basic welding by working on the rear quarter-panel of a Prelude.

Most important thing with welding is to take things slowly. If you try to go too fast, you'll make a mistake, or get too much heat into the panel, causing it to warp. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby, and wear the appropriate protective gear (mask, long pants, long sleeves).

You could probably even rent a welder for not too much money.

90Ct4ws
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1990 4ws

Post by 90Ct4ws »

I thank you for your input. Most people around here bash the fact that im putting all my money into "that old crappy honda" its reassuring to run into a fellow enthusiast. You are actually not the first person to suggest teaching myself, I am actually starting to entertain the idea. hell i have done everything else myself so far.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

It's a great opportunity to learn. Welding is actually a skill that comes in handy very frequently if you're a Do It Yourself type person.

Another way you can learn is to find someone who knows how and see if you can score some cheap lessons off them.

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Post by 91darkness »

You cant put a price on something you love, i have spent more than a couple thousand on my prelude and i cant stop. Do it yourself work will bring you a much greater satisfaction. I commend you on what your doing. If there is a tech school by you who offers welding check em out. I'm sure someone there wouldn't mind some side work or practice.