1988 Honda Prelude SI 4WS 5 speed manual

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Molly
Prelude Enthusiast

1988 Honda Prelude SI 4WS 5 speed manual

Post by Molly »

Intermittent problem with strong crank but not starting. Never happens in the morning with first start of the day (garaged at night). Always after sitting 9 hours during the day in the heat/humidity outside during the work day. Every year when it gets really hot and humid - Happens about once every two weeks - won't start at the end of the work day. I get a ride home. She sits outside all night, come next morning she cranks right up - no problem. I know this topic was discussed before regarding auto transmission, but could it be the same issue (main relay - what the heck is that?) for a manual.

I don't have a trustworthy Honda mechanic - always feel taken advantage of at the repair shops because I have never learned to work on my own car - father's don't often teach their daughters these things! I can change a tire, air one up, checked and add all the fluids, and I know my car very well - have had it 22 years. But I don't get this one at all! Any assistance or recommendations would be appreciated.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 1988 Honda Prelude SI 4WS 5 speed manual

Post by spiffyguido »

It certainly sounds like a main relay problem.

There's a very good writeup on how to repair the main relay here:

http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/Com ... nrelay.htm

Molly
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: 1988 Honda Prelude SI 4WS 5 speed manual

Post by Molly »

Thank you so much!