88 Prelude Race Car lost pwr and stopped

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ticus007
Lude Dude

88 Prelude Race Car lost pwr and stopped

Post by ticus007 »

Hi all,

I race my Prelude on a .38th of a mile oval on a track on Vancouver Island B.C.(Saratoga Speedway) During the 6th lap my car lost power and stopped. I was able to start it again to back it up but it would only run on 1 cylinder and I turned it off quickly. A driver beind me said he saw a beltch of black smoke when it lost power. Another guy said he saw red sparks coming from my exaust so we thought it was the catalytic converter went bad (plugged maybe) Looked under and the converter was red hot. Is that normal. Haven't had time to get it removed yet. Just started racing. Now with the car home I took out the main relay, cleaned it put it back in. Now I can hear the fuel pump prime and can see fuel on the plug. Also very good spark. The engine seems to want to start but won't. I'm ordering a new main relay to eliminate that as a problem.

I pulled the clock fuse to clear the ECU but before I did it was throwing a 1, 2, 6 and 17 code.(1-oxygen sensor, 2-oxygen sensor, 6-coolant temp, 17-speed sensor
Also I did change the roter and cap before the race. (have spark so don't suspect the roter coming loose)

Is there a cold start system on the engine (a choke)? I think I can smell gas now when it's trying to start

Off of this subject, if you have any advice for me to get more speed out of my B20A5 5 spd Prelude with 250,000 klm. on her running in a stock class. Love my Prelude it was a very good choice for me. I also have an 89 Si for parts but the main relay is not very good looking also with some green corrosion on it.

Trevor car #55 from Vancouver Island B.C.

Thanks again for a place to get some help for the home machanic

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 88 Prelude Race Car lost pwr and stopped

Post by spiffyguido »

Due to the fact you're getting 2 oxygen sensor warnings, and the cat was red hot, I think that you may have some problems in that area. I'd have a look at the cat and see if it isn't plugged up. A plugged cat will certainly cause the car to quit running.

ticus007
Lude Dude

Post by ticus007 »

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might have been the cat also but I didn't say that I have removed the cat and there is no pipe where i cut the cat off now so no back pressure at all now. The cat was clear because I could see through it. The car pops just when I start cranking but then it just turns over wanting to start.
What do the oxygen sensors do and would they stop the car at speed? I was thinking that the car should start if I'm getting spark and fuel but I do smell excess gas when cranking.
The main relay is a suspect still I think. I will get a new one next week.

Thanks

Trev

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The oxygen sensors help tell the ECU how much fuel to mix, but the car should run even if they're fouling up.

I thought that the oxygen sensor warning may have been caused by problems with the cat, but since the cat seems fine, you may want to check out why the oxygen sensors are having trouble. First task is to check the wiring. The oxygen sensor wires are easy ones to accidentally clip due to their position. You should see the oxygen sensor threaded into your downpipe.

ticus007
Lude Dude

Post by ticus007 »

Hi all,

success....It was the rotor that had come loose. The set screw came off so putting it back with no damage to the distributor the car fired to life as before. Did get a new relay because the old one was intermittent and we're off to the races (so to speak). Wish me luck guys and thanks again. I will return to pick your collective brains for some go fast ideas.

If anything I have learned more about my car and I still love my Honda.

Car 55 where are you?

Trev

Circlejerk
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Circlejerk »

Trev,

I would like to talk to you about your luck with the Prelude. I can't send a PM, would you please contact me at don@transmissionclinic.com ???? I'm trying the same thing to see if I can make it faster than my Probe.