Main relay costs?? and best place to buy

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ticus007
Lude Dude

Main relay costs?? and best place to buy

Post by ticus007 »

Hi all, First of all I just wanted to say how much I appriciate this forum. I have an 1988 Prelude that I race here on Vancouver Island B.C.(Saratoga Speedway) and finding this forum has been an enjoyable experience. Thanks. But I do have a problem with my main relay giving out. The joints look ok but it is intermitent to the point that in the 6th lap of the race the car lost power and stopped. I got the car home and pulled the main relay and did the tests on it to find out that it works sometimes. Not good for a race car. A new one here in Canada is about a hundred dollars and I was wondering if any place on the net is cheaper? Im hoping that this is my problem because I can't start the car now. I pulled a plug and I have good spark so the fuel pump was my next thing to check where I pulled the main relay and found this problem. I will attempt to resolder the joints because I think I have nothing to loose.

Any help would be very appriciated.

Trevor from Vancouver Island B.C.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Main relay costs?? and best place to buy

Post by spiffyguido »

Many people find that resoldering fixes things up. There's a writeup on this out on the web, which I assume you've found already.

Otherwise, short of buying a new one, I suggest trying to get a used one from a wrecker. This will always offer significant savings. You can get a couple spares even.

I wouldn't trust getting such a part from eBay or other similar marketplaces, but there are Honda dealers in the US that ship to Canada, some of which have excellent pricing on OEM parts.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The OEM dealer that ships to Canada is www.hondapartscheap.com

ticus007
Lude Dude

Post by ticus007 »

Thank you for the tip. I checked them out and will try tomorrow. I hope you might have some info on my other post.

Trev