is rough idiling due to timing being off?

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ludelover91
Lude Dude

is rough idiling due to timing being off?

Post by ludelover91 »

I got my car in the shop to get the timing FINALLY done (thanks Honda dealer wasted $224) took it in they were too busy doing whatever didnt fix what went in there for. Anyhow I found another Lude in the dealer and the owner and I talked and she pointed me in the direction of a young gentlemen who has WOW what a fly car. The engine is gorgeous (can you say that for an engine?) he had time and took it apart and cleaned it that what I want for mine, well first gotta clean under the hood the black is driving me crazy. Gotta take the hood off and clean it, but waiting till after the timing is done. Ok so back to the subject. How likely could it be that my high idle is due to just the timing being off? fingers crossed that's it. what is a good way to get all the black junk from under the hood off? And is there any way to rig something so the dirt off the belts to NOT splash on the underside of hood? thanks have learned alot
Attachments
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG (12.92 KiB) Viewed 6493 times

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

ludelover91
Lude Dude

Re: is rough idiling due to timing being off?

Post by ludelover91 »

ok well got question answered (am sure lot of people already knew), it did but didnt fix the problem doesnt idle like it did. But still do need to fix valve but hoping this minor hiccup will get by with regular inspection sticker. i was told that depending on if the valve is not as bad as thought, it could fix itself over time. but if it's too messed up still need to get a new head and do the compression test and done right. Has anyone heard this? that it could fix itself.
Attachments
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG (12.92 KiB) Viewed 6467 times

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Which valve are you having trouble with? The idle valve or the valves in the engine?

ludelover91
Lude Dude

Post by ludelover91 »

HI,
SEEMS to be the Number 1 vavle. the guy took the wires off (from where the spark plugs are underneath) the top and touched them to the nuts on the top of the head cover and could determine it that way. So he has to rip the whole engine apart again to get in there and fix it, he says it could be warped, or a ring is bad. So for $400.00 it's goina get done and fixed up right so i can FINALLY get inspected.

do you know a method to get the grease and whatever else is under the hood off, besides lots of elbow grease. What chemicals will take it off and clean it up. and has anyone got a contraption so that the junk from the belts doenst splatter up on there. something to cover the wheel without distrubing it. thanks
Attachments
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG (12.92 KiB) Viewed 6453 times

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Post by 91darkness »

I got some engine degreaser from the autoparts store. I just soaked a rag and went to town on it. All the different brands of degreaser should work. I used advanceauto parts store brand.

ludelover91
Lude Dude

Post by ludelover91 »

thanks will do that it drives me crazy lookin at that junk. goina wait till car gets fixed then will go to town on cleaning under the hood. have ya a nice holiday weekend