Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Electrical problem/engine wont start

Post by 91darkness »

Hey guys and Spiffy,

Well.....my lude has been treating me so well lately, but now another problem comes out of no where. this past friday the lude was running good, later that night i went to start it and nothing. I know it couldn't be the alternator since i just put one on a couple months ago, so i looked at the battery and posts. All was good in that area, so i had a friend help me push start it to get it home. It felt like the old days when we had a late 70's standard civic, that good old push, run and jump in the driver seat feel and then pop the clutch.
I narrowed it down to the starter. It was the one thing that wasnt working when i turned the ignition. I installed a new one this morning and it started up beautifully, but 6hrs later the car wont start. I think it has to do with some electrical problem.
I checked the following: alternator, battery and fuses. I hope to get to the bottom of it tomorrow if the weather holds up.
Attachments
Heres a pic of my future garage to work in!
Heres a pic of my future garage to work in!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Electrical problem/engine wont start

Post by spiffyguido »

Was the starter solenoid also replaced? Or did the new starter have a new solenoid?

Great pic of our future garage. That looks like a pretty good size workshop.

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

It came with a solenoid. From what i can tell, it feels and sounds like, when you have a car alarm and the alarms kill switch has been activated. The starter runs, but the engine wont engage to run. I didnt have a chance to mess with it, since its pouring rain outside.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Oh, it is turning over. I mistook your first post to mean the engine wouldn't turn at all.

You've got cranking, so the problem is either fuel or spark related.

When you turn the car to the on position (not start), leave the door open and listen for the fuel pump to prime. You should hear a whirring noise coming from the back of the car for a few seconds when you turn the key to the on position. If the fuel pump is working and your injectors are all hooked up, you likely have fuel.

Then have a look at your spark system. Check to make sure the distributor and cap are not loose and shifting, and check that your plug wires are well seated.

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

turns out it was one of the power cables connected to my aftermarket battery post terminal. I started messing around with it, cleaned any deposits and tightened it down again and she started up. So no new parts to buy. :D