NEED MAJOR HELP!!!!

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

rob91lude
Prelude Enthusiast

NEED MAJOR HELP!!!!

Post by rob91lude »

i just bought a 1991 prelude si and there is so many things wrong with i dont know where to begin.the guy that owned it before me did not take care of it at all.i tried to upload the pictures but it wouldnt let me so ill just start with what i do know(bare with me i know very little about cars)
#1he had a cracked radiator dunno how long he had it like that be he always filled it with just water
#2car was driven like +50 miles.....with no oil what so ever.(i dont know how to tell if i blew out the engine or heads on it)
#3front right shock isnt being held down right.rides are ridiculously uncomfortable and its making a hole in the hood
#4oil is leaking very slowly(im talking about 3 or 4 drops over 16 hours) its somewhere around the oil filter but i cant find exactly where
#5the console thing around the shifter is missing where can i purchase one?
#6moldings all around the car are missing where can i find some cheap replacements?
#7radiator is constantly being refilled cuz its always empty but does not leak?and not with water but coolant
#8there is this thing near the front right that looks like an air intake but there is no filter of any kind and i dont know if there should even be one there
#9power steering pump had no belt so i bought one for it and when i put it on it seems just a bit to big.im talking less than a half inch but it wont grip the belt.anyway i could tighten it?
#10temp needle goes haywire.as soon as i start the car it shoot to the top(high) temp and when i give it a little gas it goes all the way down and just keep fluctuating between hot and cold after that.
i will keep trying to upload the pictures but idk if i can if there is anyway i can text them to you please let me know i really need to get the car running any help is appreciated
thank you-robert

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: NEED MAJOR HELP!!!!

Post by spiffyguido »

Welcome to the forums. I'll help you as best I can.

#1: If the radiator is badly cracked, it will need to be replaced. You need to start by finding the leak. If it's big, get a new radiator (easy to find at a wrecker). If it's a small leak, sometimes it can be fixed with a radiator patching material. Once the leak is fit, fill it with a 1:1 ratio mixture of coolant and water.

#2: I assume you've added oil since then. Does the engine turn over? Running 50 miles with no oil would destroy an engine.

#3: The top cap of the strut hasn't been installed correctly. You'll need to have a look at this to see what's wrong.

#4: Is the oil filter itself leaking? It could be that the oil filter isn't making a good seal with the engine.

#5: Easiest to get something like this at a wrecker.

#6: Wrecker.

#7: Does the car blow a lot of white smoke out the back when it runs? Is there coolant in the engine oil? If so, the water is escaping through a bad head gasket.

#8: The filter for the car is on the left side of the engine near the firewall in a big canister. If that part is missing, or an aftermarket intake system has been put on, you need a filter.

#9: You can adjust the tension of the belt by pivoting the power steering pump. If it won't pivot far enough, you need a new belt.

#10: Unsure on this one. This issue may be electrical in nature. Sounds like the temp gauge is getting some feedback from somewhere else. There might be a short in the gauge cluster or sensor wiring.

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Post by 91darkness »

hey and welcome too, how much did you pay for the prelude?

rob91lude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by rob91lude »

#1 i got an aftermarket since i couldnt afford the oem and i installed it
#2twice.the car had some oil but not even close to the weight it needed and yes the engine does turn over and does not smoke
#3the cap is missing altogether im going tomoro to a pick and pull to see if i can find it
#7no smoke no milky dripping liquid from muffler tip
#8 im working on getting the filter
#9 the power steering pump it non adjustable.its missing a braket and pulley(power steering idler pulley)i went to honda and they told me what was missing
#10 turns out the fan doesnt start its missing a sensor or something(atleast thats what my friend said)
the rest of the problems have been resolved thanks spiffy i appreciate the help
oh and darkness the prelude cost me 1g and ive put in like 300 for parts.i had a leak and it was the unit that goes attached to the intake.its like some sort of cooling system.plus the radiator new belt oil changes hose.and thee 300 is not including the parts imma get tomoro

rob91lude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by rob91lude »

oh and i forgot to ask..how do u raise the car?it has springs and supposedly they are adjustable but i dont know how
-prelude owner-rob

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Rob,

It sounds like you're on the right track with everything. Get those missing parts installed, including the temp sensor and things should be better. Get some oil in that engine and make sure that the new radiator has fixed your water loss problems. While you're at Pick N Pull, grab the missing power steering part.

If you have adjustable springs, there will probably be a threaded collar that you can turn to adjust the bottom of the spring up or down. Or perhaps what you have is adjustable struts, meaning there should be a knob on the top of the strut to adjust the firmness.

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Post by 91darkness »

I dont know if you changed out the O2 sensor, but it makes a big difference. I just got a ntk o2 sensor and it works great! You will know if the power steering is bad if you see fluid being sprayed on the underside of the hood. While your messing with the sensors, check the check engine codes posted by spiffy, they are great.

rob91lude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by rob91lude »

didnt get to go this weekend.but i will soon.thanks for the advice on the struts.oh and im glad to report that there is no leaking of coolant or oil anymore