1991 honda prelude question

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

prelude_91
Prelude Enthusiast

1991 honda prelude question

Post by prelude_91 »

hi im looking for a honda prelude im new to these cars i found one up here in canada almost rust free in almost mint condition other than needing a windshield and rust repair at each corner of wind shild and some along the top and some the driver side rear quarter panel and under the one spoiler bolt is a big buble from rust the guy is asking 2500 it runs good needs a full tune up as it lages a bit and its a very nice car but way over price to be for what it needs also had around 284xxx kilometers i offered him 1500 and he walked away like wtf that like what you guys think its worth my friend sugested me to offer him 1200 as the day before he only paid 1100 for the car through an action where i first spoted it and i missed out on the damn car, i meaning as i could of gotten it for at least around 1400-1500 mabe or even less.
I want to find one of these just in the 1500 dollar rang like this one it was fully loaded with pm pw passsenger window motor was very slow and drive side weather stripping was ripped so window didnt seat right. i like the car alot but how can a car needing that much work worth that much money ? i just dont see how its worth that, like i can buy and 87 accord here for 300 bucks and its not in horible condition.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 1991 honda prelude question

Post by spiffyguido »

Preludes are expensive, and at least from what I've seen, they hold their value far better than Accords. I don't know what city you're in, but I'm in Alberta, and Preludes run for Premium dollar here. The only cheap ones are the ones that have auto trannies. Any manual Prelude will command top dollar for a car of its type. Obviously ones in good condition are worth more.

Not having seen the car that you were trying to buy, I can't tell you how much it is worth. From your description though, I'm not surprised the guy turned down your offer. It is a 91 Prelude after all. For a 91 Prelude with a manual transmission, at least in my province, it's $2000 and up as long as the body isn't riddled with rust and it still runs.

Stay sharp. The good ones are out there. Keep looking, and you'll find a deal.

prelude_91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by prelude_91 »

like i have pictures of it (i'll email them to you if wanted) and its in nice shape its just that im not gonna throw down 2500 bucks canadian for a car that needs 1500 worth of repairs it drove nice it had oil leaks and rust on it and a cracked windshield, to me over priced is all. Plus knowing he only paid 1100 for it at pbr actiuons here in saskatoon. Im in saskatchewan keep a look out on kijiji saskatoon for it, it may pop up there?
I'll keep looking for the one in my price range.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Sounds like the one you were looking at isn't in great shape as it originally seemed, so you were probably justified to offer less. $1500 in repairs right off the bat is a big deal. You hadn't mentioned the oil problems, etc.

Anyway, the point I was really trying to make is that Preludes generally command top dollar in their class. Where Preludes are concerned, I often tell people to save up as much as they can to get the best lude they can afford and start there. Sometimes an extra $1000 in purchase price can make a giant difference in quality.

This can require some patience, but the end result is often very worthwhile. I looked for my car for over a year, and I paid top dollar for it, but it's a pristine example of the model, and I've never looked back. You may not be in the position to wait too long, but any amount of patience you can give the issue will pay off big time. Even though 3rd generation Preludes are getting to be very old cars, you'd be surprised how many good ones there still are out there. Just two days ago I saw a silver '91 Prelude SR drive by. It was in perfect condition, driven by an older looking lady. No doubt, she's the original owner. If I ever catch her in a parking lot, you can bet I'll be asking how much she wants for it.

Keep watching. We're all hopin' for you.

prelude_91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by prelude_91 »

ok i will i just figured 1500 for repairs because the windshield was crack and will get worse here in our canadian winters. it was leaking from the side by the tranny and it might of been from the valve cover it also had knocking in the top end of engine figured that was normal but it really could use a tune up as it sputtered seemed like plugs where fouled and wires and capm and rotor where never changed. i figured that might of been around 500 for full tune up and to stop leaking oil and then fixing rust another 500 and then windshield to be replaced. oh well i'll keep looking
i did find a 91 accord 2 door 5 speed needing an inspection and some quarter rust repair but for possibly trading a chevy chevette for it and 200 cash i think it be worth it in the end.i know this sites for preludes not accords oh well just figured id post it. thanks for the help

prelude_91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by prelude_91 »

i found 2 honda prelude's one is a 1989 with sun roof but needs fuel pump there asking 900 it has manual locks and windows and the other is a 1991 thats fully loaded with sunroof and power everything just needs transmission changed and mabe steering colum or the ignition on the colum as someone tried to steal it and theres no rust he says from the pictures it doesnt look to bad there asking 800.00 witch would be a better and easier to fix up . i think the 91 because it has everything i want but needs a fair bit of work but im mechanically inclined to do the work . what do you guys think would be better im not sure the ones a like 7 hours away from me and the other about 3hours but not able to here it run the other one runs just needs transmission changed and what ever done on the steering colum

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Changing the fuel pump is far less work than the other option, although I generally like the look of the 91s better.

I'd be wary of the 91. Changing a tranny requires a spare tranny and a lot of hard work. If you know how to do it, then it's no problem provided you can get the needed parts. Why is the tranny broken though? Honda trannies are very high quality, so somebody may have beaten on that car pretty bad. Plus, make sure you run the numbers on that car. "Someone tried to steal it" could easily be "it is stolen". Obviously, whenever you buy a car it is a good idea to run the VIN down at the registry. Also, the 91 will require a tow, which adds to the purchase cost.

You should probably find out exactly what is wrong with the steering column as well. If it's just the key lock, that's one thing, but if the column or steering lock is bent up, that's a much bigger task to repair.

prelude_91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by prelude_91 »

ok thanks i know it would be alot of work would be require to fix it its a nice looking car comes with tranny to go in but who knows if it works?? im not sure why it needs a tranny probably bought it that way not sure? i know the car will require brakes as the front rotors are pretty rusty and plus it may need windshield too but not sure looks like it may be cracked in pictures as well. it will need an inspection here as well as the car is from alberta you may see it on kijiji in edmonton if he posted the pics there its red and with some silver mag rims on it. im not sure if the tranny that comes with it makes it worth what hes asking it does have 320xxx on it for kilometers i'll probabably ask for a compression test too just to see what it has for compression for the high miledge. and ask for the vin so i can run it how would i do that for it being an alberta car and me living in saskatchewan? and it says will need new ignition assembley due to theft for the steering colum.

i figured the fuel pump would be easier what is different between the 89 and 91 ? as im not even sure i think the marker lights are as the tail lights have clear lensesin the 91 im not quite sure? and could there be other things that could be wrong other than a fuel pump ? like fuel filter or anything else that relies on that ? and either car will need to be looked over fully as i always do for a car im buying and plan to use on the high ways lots. thanks for the help

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The main difference between the 89 and 91 is just the trim, the bumpers and the tail lights. Other than that, they're about the same.

The fuel filter is probably fine. A bad fuel pump won't have a negative impact on the filter.

prelude_91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by prelude_91 »

ok thanks for the help well i think i just found the one i want its a red 1990 prelude sr with the dohc engine little dirty little rust but fixable and 5 speed and fully loaded with sun roof runns and drives new muffler like stock one no fart can. windshield good too, clutch good also what is a couple things to look for on this car? is it hard to change a heater motor for the fan ? what has to be taken apart? thanks

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I don't think that changing the interior fan would be terribly hard. It's up behind the dash, but I believe you can remove it through the passenger side footwell. I've never heard of one failing before....it might just be an electrical problem.

Otherwise, most important is to take the car for a spin if you can and see how she feels. The engine should run strong and smooth, idle nicely. The ride should be smooth as well. Listen for strange creaks and rattles as you drive. Bad CV joints will usually clatter when you take a corner slowly, and ball joints make a very audible click sounds when you change directions.

Check the rust situation as well. Most Preludes have rust in the rear quarter-panels and along the base of the trunk lid.

rob91lude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by rob91lude »

the prelude i bought i got for $1000.im putting some money into making it run really good so far so good but i think i might end up selling it.its too expensive for me to own.its registered and smogged.ill prolly end up getting a newer one since this one id a 91 but for now its time to work on the repairs