'89 speedo/odometer failure + check engine light

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

mysweetride
Prelude Enthusiast

'89 speedo/odometer failure + check engine light

Post by mysweetride »

Hi, I realize others have asked similar questions, but I don't see anything regarding the check engine light accompanying a speedo that doesn't work, and also the odometer stopped working. Little over a year ago I was noticing a raspy noise in the dash, and then the speedometer just quit working altogether. S3 light flashes and Check Engine light comes on after a little bit. Idle kind of surges. What to do?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: '89 speedo/odometer failure + check engine light

Post by spiffyguido »

Sounds like a few problems to me.

Let's try to go through them one by one.

First up, let's figure out what is causing the check engine light to come on. Check the ECU code(s) when the check engine light comes on. To do this, lift back the flap in the passenger side floor carpet and you'll see the LED flashing on the ECU. Long flashes are worth 10, short flashes are worth 1. Long spaces gap separate codes if there is more than one error code. Give this a check and report back to us. I'm going to suspect Code 17.

If you need more help checking the error code, let us know, or consult the manual.

mysweetride
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by mysweetride »

Yes, you are correct! It's 17 short flashes. What next?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

According to the system symptom chart:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=706

Code 17 is the vehicle speed sensor. You should start by checking the speed sensor fuse (no. 12, 10 amp). Otherwise you might need to check the wiring to the speed sensor, and potentially replace the speed sensor itself.

Give a read to page 16-86 in the service manual (see manuals section above). It might help you.

Let us know how you make out.