Very nice.

DC Sports header too. Awesome.

Does it pull harder now?

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Re: Engine swap B21a to jdm b20a

Post by 91darkness »

it feels a whole lot different then my b21, i definitely have a lot more rpm's to play with. It seems like the gears are a little longer. I have a probably rare now, neuspeed header and a very rare bolt on sebring sports exhaust. It does feel great, but until i get used to shifting with it, the b21 felt stronger.

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

Well the timing belt failed. I wasnt even going 20mph when it happened. After talking it over with my dad, the only conclusion that we have come up with is that this jdm engine was probably sitting somewhere before i got it and the belt dry rotted. The belt still had tension so, the teeth must have been stripped out. Other than this it has been running great.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

That sucks!

Have you been able to investigate for damage?

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

Great News!!! The mechanic said it popped at the perfect point. He said it could have been 50/50 on having bent valves. He said that everything looks good and the car runs great. He did mention that i should get my car chipped lol. I had the water pump replaced and put on a Gates timing belt which is the only one i would have put on. He told me that its the only company he would recommend because they last longer than all the belts he has seen since he has been a mechanic. Final price $275!

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Glad to hear it's running again. Things could've been a lot worse.

Circlejerk
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Circlejerk »

The rougness shifting will not cure itself with a shim. If you think about it, the slave cylinder will move 1-2 inches. the shim is .020 to .050 inches. Twenty thousandths of an inch ain't gonna cut it. Either the hydraulics aren't throwing to full range, the pressure plate isn't releasing properly, or there is something mechanically wrong with the clutch disc. I would lean to the master cylinder not giving enough throw. Check your pedals for wear, check the rod from the master for adjustment (It may be a tick short!) check the slave to see if it's moving full range. We have made the slave rods in the shop before to get more throw.
I used to subscribe to the shim theory, but it's always a hydraulics issue that fixes them.

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

Ill have to check the master cylinder rod. When i had the engine swapped the shop bled it. If i remember correctly they said that they did some adjustments to get it to engage more after i complained. They looked at the plate when they put my old transmission on the new engine and said that everything looked good and i wouldn't need to replace the clutch also. I do need to replace my pedals though, i have some old aftermarket ones on now. I can rule out the master and slave being bad(both new). Thanks for the Ideas, that will give me some under the hood time this week.

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

91darkness wrote:Other than the electrical and ecu, i know i need to swap the intake mani, the exhaust mani and possibly a heater hose pipe because its longer on the b20a then my b21.
Yeah so, after some looking at my clutch mechanical parts i think i have narrowed down the problem. I forgot about cutting down/swapping out the heater hose pipe. The lower heater hose is putting pressure against the shift arm lever.
Attachments
prelude.jpg

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Uggh....yeah, that'll cause problems.