Spiffy whats up??? Temp Guage is acting funky.

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Spiffy whats up??? Temp Guage is acting funky.

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

Hey its been ages since i have been on here. Well I put way more money in the lude than she is worth and she got sold tonight for a loss, and am looking for a new lude project car now. That leads to my question....the guy that bought her said on his way home the temp gauge would go up almost to hot when he would step on the gas, but when he idled it would go half way between C and H?? Also said the battery light was coming on at the same time only under a load, but at idle it would go out as well. I told him I suspected the coolant temp sensor, but I didnt know. Any ideas? Has anyone seen this before?? :mrgreen:

Here she is all finished up!!! Well at least as far as I am taking her.
Attachments
3nb3me3o25Qa5T35R09cb96475ffa7ae0108d.jpg
3nb3me3o25Qa5T35R09cb96475ffa7ae0108d.jpg (8.83 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
- Do What You Can With What You Have Where You Are - Theodore Roosevelt

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Spiffy whats up??? Temp Guage is acting funky.

Post by spiffyguido »

That's a good lookin' car.

I'd guess that an electrical short might be the source of your problems. If the battery light is coming on under load, there has got to be something drawing power from the engine when it gets all loaded up. Usually a battery light would go off when the engine is spun up, because the alternator will be hammering out more electricity.

Right next to the coolant temperature sensor is an engine temperature sensor. I believe it is this sensor that drives the gauge in the car. That might be a first place to check because it sounds as though the short might be driving the temp gauge up somehow.