Car and Dash lights wont start

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

91prelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Car and Dash lights wont start

Post by 91prelude »

Hey Peeps,
My car wouldn't start, so i went and gave it a jump hoping that would help it. At that time the dash lights were working as i tried to jump start it. When i bought a new battery and tried to start it, the dash lights and the car wont start. Whats wrong? Sorry for bothering you guys with rookie questions :?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Car and Dash lights wont start

Post by spiffyguido »

Have you checked your fuses? If the dash lights aren't coming on that seems like a potential blown fuse somewhere, perhaps caused by your attempted jump start.

91prelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 91prelude »

Ill Check em! Will that keep the car from starting? There is also a little green light that is blinking by my ebrake. Is that a symbol for something? Thanks for your response Spiffy

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Can't think what the green light by your e-brake might be.

Blown fuses can prevent your car from starting though.

91prelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 91prelude »

Still not starting. When I try my engine is kicking, just not starting. I checked my spark plugs and in the well to the very right, there is oil in it. Is that the cause? I also checked all my fuses and they seem fine, my dashlights still wont turn on when i turn the key to is second position. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

91prelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 91prelude »

Never mind Spiff! I got it starting. Changed all fuses, maybe there was on i didn't see... Changed spark plugs and cleaned the distributor cap. Put a new alternator in as well, so hopefully it keeps on going! Thanks for the help, I love this forum. Thanks guys

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Awesome. Very glad to hear that you're all sorted.

For the benefit of others who may read this thread, which fuse ended up being the source of the trouble? ECU?

91prelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 91prelude »

I think it was the IG 2 main fuse? If that makes sense. I really just changed all of them. That one just looked the worst

91prelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 91prelude »

So I went to turn on the car after work and it didn't start... Bought a new battery and I replaced the 70 Battery Main Fuse. when I connect the battery my side blinkers flash on and off, when I try to start the car it wont start :/ Any ideas. Im going to replace my cables and spark plug again, Just cant find a blown fuse, could it be something else?
Appreciate the time

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

What exactly happens when you try to start the car?

Do the warning lights come on as they normally would before startup? Does the engine turn over but not fire up? Or is just dead?

The fact that your blinkers are coming on when you connect the battery makes me wonder if you have a short somewhere. Unless your hazard switch is on, those obviously shouldn't be coming on like that.