s3 and s4 gears?

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

anotherredprelude
Prelude Enthusiast

s3 and s4 gears?

Post by anotherredprelude »

i just got my 1988 honda prelude its an atuomatic and it has park reverse neutral drive then it has s3 and if you press the button s4 then it has second. i have never seen these gears before and was just wanted to know if anyone had any info on them cause i really dont know what there all about. wasnt sure if its just some kind of overdrive?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: s3 and s4 gears?

Post by spiffyguido »

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

S3 and S4 are the electronic overdrive feature on the car. I believe (though not positive) that it works this way:

-S-system off: Normal cruising mode, engine will shift at lower revs. Quieter.
-S3: Sport mode, 3 gears only. Harder shifts, and engine revs higher before shifting. Us this for passing and descending hills, etc.
-S4: Sport mode, all 4 gears. Same as S3, except 4th gear is also used.

anotherredprelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by anotherredprelude »

yeah i actually looked it up in the manual online here and it said they are for rapid acceleration at highway speeds. and s3 is for sports gears 1-3 and s4 is for sports gears 4 and on. now i just have to figured out why s3 flashes sometimes on my dash. maybe just a fuse... thanks for replying!

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The light may be indicating a fault with the transmission. The automatic transmission control unit (located with the ECU under the carpet flap in the passenger side footwell) will tell you what the error is using a blinking LED. The 88 Service manual in the Manuals section of this site will help you decifer the code.

This thread will help:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=460

mrbill1960
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by mrbill1960 »

speed sensor

Circlejerk
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Circlejerk »

If you can retrieve the code, we can help you decipher what the problem is. Mrbill is probably right, there isn't much electronics on an 88. TCC solenoid and a speed sensor.
I can always be reached at don@transmissionclinic.com for help and advice.
Once upon a time I used to be general manager of a Honda/Acura transmission remanufacturing plant and am more than familiar with all Honda units. I have rebuilt over 2000 personally......