1991 Prelude Si 4ws coolant leak near intake manifold

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

1stTimeHondaOwner
Prelude Enthusiast

1991 Prelude Si 4ws coolant leak near intake manifold

Post by 1stTimeHondaOwner »

So I drove my car all day yesterday, and it ran absolutely normal. Never indicated that it was overheating, never ran like it was overheating. I pulled into a parking spot and then all of a sudden she just decided to throw up all the coolant in her. The leak is coming from the back of the engine and leaking straight down onto what looks like the "B-pipe". The car leaks more when it hasn't reached operating temp. Once it reaches that temp and the thermostat opens, the leak slows dramatically. I checked the oil, its fine not milky or separated. I checked the water leaking onto the ground, no oil, it doesn't smell like oil and its not colored like there is oil in it. Its not the heater core because my interior is dry. (brother had a heater core leak, and it looked like it rained inside his car.)

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 1991 Prelude Si 4ws coolant leak near intake manifold

Post by spiffyguido »

You said the leak is coming from he back of the engine. Is it coming from the main coolant line that runs down the back side of the engine, or could it be coming from a crack in the head gasket?

1stTimeHondaOwner
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 1stTimeHondaOwner »

@spiffyguido - I found and repaired the leak. It was a small hose that ran from just along the back of the valve cover down between the intake manifold and into a hard line. It was a PITA to fix but I got it.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Awesome. And thanks for coming back to let us know what the resolution was. It really helps other users.