Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

mpL
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 1991 SE

Suspension drop info!

Post by mpL »

Hi,
I would like to drop my car a little bit and I had some questions. Which part exactly I need to change? Which brand I should buy? How low can I go to do not domage the car!?
Thanks

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Suspension drop info!

Post by spiffyguido »

If you just want to lower the car, you just need new springs. However, if you want to really make the car handle better at the same time, you really need to pair the new springs with a set of matched struts. Lowering springs will usually blow the stock struts out in short order because of he increased spring rate.

The maximum drop really depends on your wheel size and how practical you want the car to be. I have a 0.75" drop on 14 inch wheels and I don't think I'd want to go lower. On most Hondas, drops of up to 1.5" are usually okay. Past that point you start having issues with camber and irregular tire wear.

There are lots of good brands. I have Tokico struts and springs. Very good.

Eibach makes good springs. KYB makes good stuts. Koni is also very good. Neuspeed used to make a set of lowering springs for the Prelude that were good, but I think they've been discontinued. HotBits makes great stuff, but again, I'm not sure they make a set for the 3rd gen. Tein makes good stuff as well.

A lot of people will just choose to get a set of Ground Control coilovers (which are good) and pair them with a set of Koni Yellows. This is a relatively inexpensive way to get your car lower and greatly improve the strut set.

mpL
Lude Dude

Post by mpL »

spiffyguido wrote:If you just want to lower the car, you just need new springs. However, if you want to really make the car handle better at the same time, you really need to pair the new springs with a set of matched struts. Lowering springs will usually blow the stock struts out in short order because of he increased spring rate.

The maximum drop really depends on your wheel size and how practical you want the car to be. I have a 0.75" drop on 14 inch wheels and I don't think I'd want to go lower. On most Hondas, drops of up to 1.5" are usually okay. Past that point you start having issues with camber and irregular tire wear.

There are lots of good brands. I have Tokico struts and springs. Very good.

Eibach makes good springs. KYB makes good stuts. Koni is also very good. Neuspeed used to make a set of lowering springs for the Prelude that were good, but I think they've been discontinued. HotBits makes great stuff, but again, I'm not sure they make a set for the 3rd gen. Tein makes good stuff as well.

A lot of people will just choose to get a set of Ground Control coilovers (which are good) and pair them with a set of Koni Yellows. This is a relatively inexpensive way to get your car lower and greatly improve the strut set.
I want my car to handle better so what would be the best combinaison(brands) and how much did you pay for your tokico? Thanks

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Can't recall what I paid for the Tokicos. It was around $350 I think.

Can't speak for any other brands, but the Tokicos have been excellent. They did a lot to improve handling.

mpL
Lude Dude

Post by mpL »

spiffyguido wrote:Can't recall what I paid for the Tokicos. It was around $350 I think.

Can't speak for any other brands, but the Tokicos have been excellent. They did a lot to improve handling.
Thanks dude ! And do you know where can I buy tokico for my prelude?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The 3rd gen kit is HPK223. It's available for sale right now on Amazon:

Tokico HPK223 HP Suspension Kit for Honda Prelude
Note: As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Alternatively, you can Google other vendors.