Tmming issus on a 91' lude

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Grumpy3TC
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 91"SI

Tmming issus on a 91' lude

Post by Grumpy3TC »

Hello,I'm new around,I mostly a Old school Toyota Tech and Rotary Mazda ,But i have the chance to own a 91' prelude in a nice mint condition,but i replace the water pump,like i it was nothing new to me, I never took the time to check things before start to take apart,so you guys know at the time to find the timing marks a was a little lost,I got the car start fast but is jumping like a horse when idle ,when you RPM is all good,only when idle.I check the video on youtube from I believe is the ADMIN here,Prelude Driver,and that how I found about this great site.I think the video talk about the timing mark on the flywheel,so I assume is a 5-speed what he is working on,so he mention a timing mark in form of a white cross,but on my case is a auto tranny,and the tranny marks appear to be 3 red lines which the center one is longer than the other 2,which tell me that is the 0 TDC?,but I dont know where to point it or what to use as a pointer,also my crankshaft pulley have a dot that should line up with the block but again i dont know what to use as I pointer.Please some one help me on this one.
Last edited by Grumpy3TC on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Tmming issus on a 91' lude

Post by spiffyguido »

Check out page 5-26 in the 1988 service manual (in our manuals section at the top of the screen). The TDC mark is a white line and a T.

The three red marks are for timing. The indicate 15 degrees before top dead center (BTDC). See page 16-46.

Get a timing light and double check that your timing is zeroed in. That might explain your rough idle.

Grumpy3TC
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 91"SI

Post by Grumpy3TC »

Thanks,for your explanation,So you mean is a T mark also,some where , and the 3 red lines are degrees.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The center of the 3 red lines will indicate 15 degrees BTDC. The ones on either side I believe represent +- 2 degrees.

You won't see the T mark with a timing light. You'll only see it when you have the engine off and rotate it manually to find TDC.