Brakes

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

MikeKnight
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: Gen 3 2.0 EX AUTO

Brakes

Post by MikeKnight »

I think it's time my lude was treated to a new set of discs and pads all round, the current ones have started to squeal and grind meaning they're about five minutes away from dying horribly. They were already crusty when I got the car, doubt they've been changed in many a year.

My question was what options are there available? I can easily get the official Honda parts here in the UK with no effort, but they are rather expensive. Parts like greenstuff pads (used them before on my MG, wonderful pads) are much more efficient, last longer and are usually half the price. Third party discs are also far, far, cheaper than official discs and just as good if not better.

But I don't know what to get! What do you use for your brakes, spiffyguido? I looked on eBay but it was just confusing and I've had wrong parts sent from there before.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Brakes

Post by spiffyguido »

Others should chime in as well with their setups.

I'm on Honda rotors, Honda calipers and Honda pads. For daily driving, I've enjoyed this setup.

However, if my brakes required maintenance at the present moment, I'd probably opt for a switch as you have indicated. There are some top notch products on the market that will be better than OEM for particular applications. If you want to get a little more performance out of your brake setup, I'd look at getting yourself a better set of rotors, and more importantly, some better pads.

I'm a fan of the greenstuff pads from EBC, having driven on these before. For off-track use, these are about as good as you're likely to need. Check EBC's website for the exact model your car needs, but it'll be something like this:

EBC Greenstuff Sport Brake Pads
Note: As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Also, don't overlook the importance of having a good rotor. It's easy to get a high quality black replacement (from Brembo), but even better is to get a rotor that will help your brake fade. Slotted and cross-drilled rotors aren't a gimmick...they really help. I'm not a huge fan of cross drilled rotors save for really high quality ones because the drill holes often become a cracking point. Brakes get really hot, and if the manufacturer hasn't properly tempered the metal, you brake hard, then drive through a puddle, and your rotors develop hairline cracks around the cross-drills.

Thus, I'm more of fan of slotted rotors. They serve the same function and are much more appropriate for street use and longer lasting. EBC makes these as well for our cars. Brembo used to make a set of slotted rotors that fit Preludes, but I think these have been discontinued. Here are examples...again, check the manufacturer website to doublecheck fitment.

Front EBC Slotted Rotors
Rear EBC Slotted Rotors

Do some research and figure out what is most appropriate for your desired application. As far as brands are concerned, I like EBC, Brembo and Hawk. There are other brands that are also good, but the above are a good place to start.

MikeKnight
Lude Dude

Post by MikeKnight »

Thanks for the info!

I ended up using normal EBC pads (their Ultimax material) and normal EBC vented discs. Still far cheaper and better than standard in terms of dust, fade and duration.

Unfortunately I also discovered both front calipers were jammed shut, no wonder my pads wore out so quickly! I got some reconditioned calipers and painted them to assist with corrosion protection, fitting them tomorrow then we'll all be good and done. :D

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Can't wait to hear your review of your new brake setup. Should be good.

MikeKnight
Lude Dude

Post by MikeKnight »

Got it all set up today and it's back to normal, finally good braking! No more grinding on braking and the pads are fantastic.

I honestly don't think the rotors had been changed in its entire 23 year lifespan! The pads... maybe once. :lol: