Just bought 1990 Prelude 4WS

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

clu522
Lude Dude

Re: Just bought 1990 Prelude 4WS

Post by clu522 »

AFter coolant temperature sensor replaced, eCU still gives me Code 6. Is there more than 1 Temp sensor? About the VSS, I going to over haul the sensor today to if it fix or not. The reason engine running rough because there is air bubble in the coolant. After bleed, now idle good.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

There's also a temperature sensor in the bottom of the radiator. If I remember correctly, it's located on the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom. You'll see the wiring. The sensor is similar to the one you just changed.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

Thanks i will look for it.,. hope this will be it for this sensor problem.. Also, I will let you know if i get any luck with overhaul the VSS today.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

i replaces all 3 sensor, 1 radiator fan control sensor -- return line (big one), TW sensor #38 in Honda OEM and Radiator sensor-- passanger side lower radiator (big one also). still have that CEL. CODE 6.. i discover the (small plug) power is 10V, however the manual said 5V... how to trouble shoot it? also is Radiator fan switch is 5v also?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Oh gosh, you're in deep now. The only way to figure what the voltages should be is to use the wiring diagrams in the service manual (see our manuals section).

Any indication that any of the wiring has been altered in the car? Perhaps you've got a wire crossed somewhere or something.

Also, did you try pulling and replacing the ECU fuse to clear all the trouble codes? I'm pretty sure that this code should clear when you restart the car, but its worth taking the extra step just to be sure.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

Yes, I did. I believe the line is altern I will double check with electrical diagram just to makesure. Also I did try with 2 other good ECU, both are giving me same code. Got the Speed sensor fix.. the overhaul works. Also easy way to replace the damn thing without drop the pin.. is remove the whole speed sensor assembly. invole disconnect ps line. only 1 10mm bolt invole. makesure don't let any dust or thing drop into the hole. Also FYI, I check the fuse box inside the car, notice there is wire connected into one of unuse fuse hole, which i discover that line is to power the fans... do you think this might cause the voltage to 10V? or the wire is alter? from the manual it said, yellow gren/Gren white == that is radiator fan switch on the return line.... is that mistake? because that line is 5V.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

There shouldn't be any wires in the fuse block....that sounds like a bad idea. Somebody has obviously tried to make some changes. That could well be what's causing some of your problems.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

Can you take a picture and highlight which one is coolant sensor and the color of the wires for me ?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It's the plug directly to the left of the top edge of the exhaust heat shield.

Grey cylindrical plug. Quite often the plug is green, not grey.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

I will take a picture of mine.. it looks different.. I have 3 sensors at that area. I believe you have otherone at the back right? can you take more closer pic to show the color of wires?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I don't have any sensors on the back. Just the two that you see. I've seen ones with three sensors though, so I can imagine what you mean. Post a picture of yours and we'll see if we can sort it out.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

As today no more engine code, orginal engine with 209k miles, it burns small amount of oil every 2-3 fuel tanks. However, recently it has coolant leaks issue. Last week Friday, massive steam coolant leaks out from intake body driver side while driving, Massive steam out scare people around me, they though my car is on fire.I immdiate park the car and tow back to my house. I believe is the O ring on the Water pimp inlet went bad. I already disconnect all the wire get ready to take out the intake body and replace all the coolant/oil cooling hoses while i replace the O ring. FYI, I'm planing to sell the car as soon after all issue is taking care of. Along with the car, I include brand rebuilt spare new B21A block with steel sleve, clean head, valve cover, rear lights, 2 speed sensor, rear mirror, coolant fan, starter, altnator, 10k miles used transmission and more...

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Water leaks are usually something simple, like a gasket as you mentioned, or a cracked hose.