Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

MikeKnight
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: Gen 3 2.0 EX AUTO

Front speakers and door cars

Post by MikeKnight »

Hi guys.

I found where the front speakers are in my 1990 Honda Prelude (hidden behind the door panel) but am not sure how to get the panel off. I've found the various screws around the panel but am not sure if I also need to remove the window controls, door pull, handle etc? I don't want to damage anything by mistake. I've taken door panels off before but none with controls integrated into them.

Also for my information before I take the panels off and so I can get the correct size replacement, what size are the front speakers? Saves me having the panels off for days while I wait for the speakers to arrive. The speakers currently there are very dead.

Cheers. :)

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Front speakers and door cars

Post by spiffyguido »

The speakers are 6 1/2" rounds as I recall. Same size as the rear deck. I have some from Alpine in the back of my car that look really nice, similar to these:

Alpine SPS-610 2-Way Type-S Series Coaxial Car Speakers
Note: As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

To get the door panels off, there are usually small phillips screws along the bottom edge. Remove the door pull insert and the bezel behind the handle. There might also be some screws on the door vent connection point. When you're sure you have all the screws out, pull gently on the bottom of the door and the snaps will pop out. Once all the snaps are out, the top edge lifts upwards out of the window slot. It's easier than it sounds.

MikeKnight
Lude Dude

Post by MikeKnight »

Thanks, I'll get some 6 1/2" speakers bought. I'll get some nice FLI ones as they'll match the rear deck and they're high quality too.

The previous owner must've had the drivers side door card on and off more times than his socks as the poor thing is almost hanging off, held on by just the door pull and handle bezel. Well, least it'll be easy to get off.

Do you know anywhere I can get the little inserts that cover the screw points? The passenger door card has a few and the drivers door has none. Would just tidy things up. I think I need about 5 or 6.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Not sure one where you can buy the inserts. I doubt Honda still sells them, but you can ask. Best bet might be a wrecker.

Irbbel
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Irbbel »

MikeKnight wrote:Hi guys.

I found where the front speakers are in my 1990 Honda Prelude (hidden behind the door panel) but am not sure how to get the panel off. I've found the various screws around the panel but am not sure if I also need to remove the window controls, door pull, handle etc? I don't want to damage anything by mistake. I've taken door panels off before but none with controls integrated into them.

Also for my information before I take the panels off and so I can get the correct car navigation system size replacement, what size are the front speakers? Saves me having the panels off for days while I wait for the speakers to arrive. The speakers currently there are very dead.

Cheers. :)
Have you sorted your speaker problem? I am facing it so can you help me?

MikeKnight
Lude Dude

Post by MikeKnight »

Hi, yes I sorted the problem. The speakers used throughout the car are 6.5" units. However the car is set up for older and flatter speakers with different mounting holes so I was forced to drill my own holes, then use long bolts with three nuts to secure the speakers in place.

If you drill too, be sure your windows are up and you don't nick any wiring harnesses. Then test-fit the speaker with your window down so you know it'll miss the glass, modern speakers are much deeper than older ones so it will never fit flush to the door but you can get it so it looks ok and everything works.