Locking the engine

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

MikeKnight
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: Gen 3 2.0 EX AUTO

Locking the engine

Post by MikeKnight »

Hi guys, new here and brand new to Honda ownership! Absolutely loving my 1990 Gen 3 Prelude so far! I'm used to driving old Rovers and it's nice to drive something where bits don't randomly fall off every few miles. :lol:

Anyway, my Prelude most definately needs a full service as the visible belts look quite old, so I suspect the timing belt is in a similar state of decay. It's a twincarb SOHC 2.0 EX AUTO, for your information.

My question is what's the best way to lock these engines for purposes of removing the crank pulley? On my Rovers it was always done via a locking tool (a big chunk of metal more or less) shoved into the starter motor hole to stop the flywheel turning. I don't need to lock the cams with it being a SOHC engine and not a DOHC.

Cheers and awesome forum. :D

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Locking the engine

Post by spiffyguido »

You crank pulley should have a hexagonal inside profile that you can place a locking tool into. These tools can be had for cheap on eBay and I've heard they work well. Alternatively, and the method I use, is to just use an impact wrench. Since they loosen through heavy vibration and short bursts of torque you don't have to lock anything in place and the bolt will come out.

Here's a link to the type of tool I've referring to available on Amazon. I don't know if this is the right one for your car, but it may be. You'd have to measure to be sure:

Honda Crank Pulley Removal Tool
Note: As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

MikeKnight
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: Gen 3 2.0 EX AUTO

Re: Locking the engine

Post by MikeKnight »

Thanks! Had no idea there was a tool for holding the crank pulley for these, certainly makes a lot more sense than jamming a flywheel.