Got a clutch problem

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ssfoso
Prelude Enthusiast

Got a clutch problem

Post by ssfoso »

I own a 1988 Prelude SI 5 Speed. Its currently sitting and not moving due to the fact that the clutch will not engage, it will not go into gears. It just grinds like the pedal isnt even being pushed. The fluid container is being emptied on to the ground. I was wondering if that would be the signs of a shot slave cylinder or hopefully nothing worse. Please if anyone can give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so very much!!!!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Got a clutch problem

Post by spiffyguido »

Where is the fluid leaking from? From the slave cylinder or master cylinder?

ssfoso
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by ssfoso »

Its on the outside, under the car, guess I should have said that, so i would assume the the slave is shot. But this is the first Honda I have owned and I dont wanna start tearing into it with some knowledge. Thank you :D

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

If possible, I'd start by pinpointing the leak so that you're not replacing parts you don't have to. If you have someone press the clutch pedal while you look under the hood, you should be able to see if the leak is coming right from the slave cylinder. Are you able to do that?

FZZ8J2M
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by FZZ8J2M »

I have the same issue and have narrowed it down to one possible culprit, the clutch hose is leaking. The leak is outside of the vehicle, so I believe it would be the hose for the slave cylinder. I am no mechanic but it’s what I believe to be the problem. I am having issues finding instructions on replacing just the hose. I can’t imagine that it’s as simple as “out with the old and in with the new.” Any help on locating instructions would be great or if anyone has done this that can tell me step by step (again, I’m no mechanic) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The whole system is described in section 7 of the service manual (see 1988 Service Manual in our manuals section). The hoses aren't drawn for their entire length though as you said, so you'll just have to trace them. The clutch line I believe runs down one of the hard lines on the firewall and then back into a rubber hose near the tranny. The fittings on the end are the most likely places for a leak, so just search carefully to find the leak. Be sure that it's not your slave cylinder that is leaking too because these seem to wear out more frequently than the hoses themselves.