different manual trans

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

team blue
Prelude Enthusiast

different manual trans

Post by team blue »

Hello,

Does anyone know how many different manual trans came with this gen of prelude? and also that trans will bolt up to a b20a or b21? also were would i find a gearing/raito chart?

thank you

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: different manual trans

Post by spiffyguido »

There are at least two. The B21A1 paired transmission has shorter gearing than the tranny paired with the B20A5. Which one do you need the ratios for? I think I wrote them down somewhere.

Gunrunner
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Gunrunner »

How much difference is there between the b21 transmission and the b20 transmission? I have a 91 si 4ws with the b21a1 engine/5speed. My only issue with it is that I spend a lot of time on the freeway and would like to have a little taller gear. Can I change ratio in my transmission, or would the b20 transmission be better at speeds over 55? I've also toyed with the idea of doing an engine/transmission swap with a v-tec (I've heard the b18 is a good candidate). Any input is appreciated, thanks.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The gear ratios for the transmissions are in the service manual. The B21 and B20 transmissions are very similar, but the B20 does have a few slightly taller gears which would help you on the freeway. You can't change the ratio in your transmission without cracking it open and messing with the gear sets.

If you want VTEC, the best documented swap is actually for the H22. Not many people have slotted B18s into 3rd gen preludes.