need help asap! no power to fuel pump

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

newluder91
Prelude Enthusiast

need help asap! no power to fuel pump

Post by newluder91 »

i just got a 1991 honda prelude si. when i turned the key to on i didnt hear the fuel pump prime so the first thing i did was i replaced the pump and i replaced the main relay. i am still not getting power to the fuel pump. i wanted to see if i was getting power to the relay so i used a test light and right when i put the tip into the relay (where the green and black wire is) i heard the fuel pump prime. so i have no idea what that means. the car if i try to start it will just crank and will not start. please help me!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: need help asap! no power to fuel pump

Post by spiffyguido »

If you jumpered the main relay and the fuel pump ran, it sounds like the source of the problem could be the main relay itself. If the engine will crank, then you know the ignition switch is working okay. While cranking, the main relay should fire up the fuel pump and get you running. Double-check that relay.

newluder91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by newluder91 »

if the light on the ecu stays solid red does that mean its done?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah. A solid indicator light indicates a problem with the ECU according to page 6-134 of the 1988 Service Manual. Is that what you're getting?

newluder91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by newluder91 »

yea. i am getting a solid red light

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Before you completely write off the ECU, I would pull the ECU fuse under the hood. It's located in the fuse box by your battery. The owners manual will have a diagram showing which one it is, or there may even be a sticker on the fuse box itself.

Pull the fuse and leave it out for a minute, or just disconnect the battery for a minute. This will completely reset the ECU. See if you get the same behavior after that. The ECUs don't fail that often, so unless you had a major electrical short that toasted yours, yours may still be okay.

newluder91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by newluder91 »

i pulled the fuse and its still solid red. so i got a ecu from another 1991 prelude but the plugs are different. the guy told me that i have the california plug or something like that. is there a way to make that ecu work?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

what id number is on the ECU?