oil pump

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

clinton groves
Prelude Enthusiast

oil pump

Post by clinton groves »

I beleave my oil pump, or the seal of the gear shaft of the oil pump in the . .timing belt loop is leaking. I would beleave that I can replace the outer part of this pump and gear drive without changing the pick up in the oil pan, or removing the oil pan. If any one has any tips or input on this it would be appreciated

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: oil pump

Post by spiffyguido »

Sounds like your crank seal on the timing belt side of the engine is leaking. It is possible to replace these, but the procedure will be fairly intensive. Are you quite comfortable with mechanics?

clinton groves
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by clinton groves »

I have removed the cover and it doesn't seem to be the front main, I noticed more dirt and oil around the oil drive. I am putting the pulley and belts back on tonight and going to watch as to where the oil is coming from.

clinton groves
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by clinton groves »

Yep, front seal, reinstalling the timing belt was testing my nerves. Other than that it was pretty simple

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Nicely done. No more leaks?

clinton groves
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by clinton groves »

No more leaks. I had to put a ring of silicon around the outside of the seal. The seal I found had pushed out into the tinning belt Gide washer. I siliconed the outside of the seal to try and keep in to stay in. Driving 900 miles back home tomorrow so hopefully I don't run into issues