Is this Overpriced?

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Conciliator
Prelude Enthusiast

Is this Overpriced?

Post by Conciliator »

Hi guys,

I've been looking at buying a used 1990 Prelude SR and was hoping someone could help me about the price and what not.

Basically, it's at 220,000km, a manual transmission, and for $1500.

I read that the timing belt and water pump often needed to be replaced, so I asked the guy to which he said he replaced 60,000km ago.

There's also a bit of rust on the strip underneath the doors. Not along the whole bottom strip, just at the corners nearest the wheels.

So basically, what do you guys think about this price and how long it'll probably last? And what else should I ask him about, and check about the car before buying?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Is this Overpriced?

Post by spiffyguido »

The price depends greatly on where you live, but for most of Canada, that's about what you'd expect to pay.

The timing belts need to be done every 100,000km or every five years. If the car has been sitting a while, I'd plan that as an expense.

The rust you described sounds pretty typical for the year. It rarely affects the function of the car, but you have to come to terms with the appearance impact it will have.

Provided the car is in good mechanical condition, it will likely last you a very long time. Preludes are Japanese built and are very good quality. If you're serious about the car and are concerned about any other aspects of its condition I would ask the seller if you can have a mechanical inspection done on the vehicle before purchase. I'd pay special attention to the CV joints and struts as these do wear out with time and can be costly to repair if you're not doing the work yourself.

Hope that helps.