compressor clutch relay replacement?

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

compressor clutch relay replacement?

Post by 91darkness »

Has anyone replaced their compressor clutch relays? I installed a new A/C compressor on Friday. The job was pretty straight forward. I charged up the system and now my A/C compressor clutch cuts on intermittently. It may work when i push the A/C button or not at all. Its been very random the past couple days i have been trying it out. I took out the relays and peered inside and the electrical contact points look a little toasted. I don't know if this is normal or not. It has a gap similar to spark-plugs. I do know new ones are $33. I also saw in the shop manual something about a diode?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: compressor clutch relay replacement?

Post by spiffyguido »

Never have taken those apart, so I can't be of much help.

When you press the AC button does it light up green or orange. Orange would indicate a problem with the electrics somewhere.

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

Post by 91darkness »

I didn't get an orange light and the button does work. When i press and depress the button the condenser fan cuts on and off, but no A/C compressor. I did scrape the connection points inside the relays just a little to get the soot off. I don't know if this did anything or not, but the a/c came on every time i hit the button. My brother gave me some spark plug electrical grease. I may try that out if the problem persist or a trip to the junker.
The good news is that it blows really cold! when it works. Oh, i did finish the tail lights, but my wife left the only camera we have at her school.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

There's definitely some electrical gremlins causing trouble somewhere in the system. That dielectric grease will likely help if the contacts on your relay are knackered.