O2 sensor?

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Lex luder
Prelude Enthusiast

O2 sensor?

Post by Lex luder »

Wondering if anyone could help me...just bought a 91 lude 2.1 sr and when it idles it goes up and down in the rpms but driving or holding down the excelerator its fine..so my question is this the o2 sensor? And how hard is it to replace if this is it

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: O2 sensor?

Post by spiffyguido »

A bouncing idle is almost always caused by the IAC valve (Fast Idle Valve). It's a very common problem, and the fix is generally easy.

More info here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=310

Lex luder
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Lex luder »

I done some research on iac and seen a couple videos and it showed me to take off the cap(mine was 3 screws) and take a slot head driver and turn it clockwise to tighten it and when i took the cap off and there was a spring there then the diaphram with an e clip in the center so can u tell me how to fix this type? Or should i just go to the wreckers and get another iacv? Thx

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The type you have must be an aftermarket one, so it probably can't be fixed with the screw driver. If you're certain that your coolant lines are properly bled (if they aren't the IAC can't work) then yes, you'll need to get another one from the wrecker.

Lex luder
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Lex luder »

So i went back at looking at the video a little closer (it didnt help it was an accord) and checked out that thread you left and realized i was at the wrong part amd actually found iac and sure enough 3 turns later and a couple screws my idle was back to normal and want to thank u for all your help and love the site keep up the good work

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

That's great news. Glad you got it fixed!