Mild leak

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

pmg88
Lude Dude

Mild leak

Post by pmg88 »

Noticed some fluid underneath car. Looked underneath and it sems to come from underneath the transmission case -a mixture of water (condensation??) and some brownish fluid. Checked fluids and oil is OK same with ATF. Only fluid that the level drops is the PS fluid. Can PS fluid be leaking all the way to the right side of engine area away from the resevoir and pump area? Noticed that the drips getting worse when weather got cooler and having extra condensation on the car in the morning. Engine isn't the cleanest. Had a main hose blow out a few months back a drenched the motor especailly on the right side part of engine .

Side question: I get different answers on ways to measure PS fluid. I notice when engine is cold level is a little low and when engine is warm, level is at the top. Measure when cold and is it OK to have it in between the Low and High?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Mild leak

Post by spiffyguido »

The power steering lines do run towards the middle of the car to get to the steering rack. It's possible that you are seeing fluid from there. I'd get under the car and really start poking around for a leak. Are you noticing any fluid loss from the power steering fluid reservoir? It sounds like you're checking the level just fine, but is the level going down with time?

pmg88
Lude Dude

Post by pmg88 »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I topped off the PS fluid so that it reached the MAX level when cold. Next morning noticed it lower than the MAX but after
driving for 45 mins or so , level was back up to MAX.

PS fluid when leaking is brownish and odorless right? The leing fluid is odorless.

Will try and trace it but getting under a Prelude has its challenges.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah, it won't have much of an odor.

pmg88
Lude Dude

Post by pmg88 »

Also. I've been having issues with my speedometer where the needle would drop off intermittently at speed. The needle
actually makes a rattling sound as it moves up especially when I first get going. I noticed on the manual how the speed sensor is part ot the PS system so is it safe to assume that the leak is also causing the speedometer prolem.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I'm not sure what you're referring to about the manual. Could you provide the page number from the service manual where it says that there is a connection between the speedometer and the PS system?

pmg88
Lude Dude

Post by pmg88 »

I was referring to the speed sensor on p. 11-21 on the manual. Would a leak around the speed sensor make it
work intermittently?

Also, I've noticed some PS fluid along with water???in the area right below the thermostat. This area would be right above
where the fluid leaks on to the pavement.

Checked my radaitor and not
losing coolant.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Because your speedometer is also having trouble, you may want to look for leaks around the speed sensor. You may even want to see if you can deduce whether it is leaking into speed sensor itself. The leak might be very slow, so you'll have to really look for it.

Regarding the coolant leak, it's not uncommon for small weeping leaks to form at the end of hoses and around gaskets. Check around the upper radiator hose and around the thermostat. The thermostat has a gasket that can wear out. I once had a tiny leak form on the bottom side of the engine side of my upper radiator hose. It was hard to find, but I was able to follow the trail of staining it was leaving. Let your engine warm up completely and then watch for leaks. The thermostat won't open until the engine reaches temperature.

pmg88
Lude Dude

Post by pmg88 »

Thanks.

For the PS, do Stop Leak products like Lucas really work? I know they work by solvents making seals expand and
thus "plug" leaks, but with Honda requiring a different type of fluid doesn't this make it questionable? I may need to
use Stop Leak as a stop gap.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I'd be cautious with any type of stop leak product. I've heard that the Lucas stuff does work, but I'd never put it in my engine. Who knows what else it might goo up. Better to just find the leak and make a repair whenever possible.

pmg88
Lude Dude

Post by pmg88 »

Thanks. I know additives are always a risk and you never know what other problems can crop up.

On fluid underneath thermostat: the area where this fluid is on top of the automatic transmission area on top of the
torque converter case. I looked at the parts diagrams and there is a gasket that connects to the rest of the block.
Question: if this is leaking, would this be a transmission fluid leak or an oil leak? This might be a separate issue.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Sorry, you'll have to be more clear. Which gasket? Do you have a diagram you could reference?

pmg88
Lude Dude

Post by pmg88 »

I can't find it in the manual but on this parts web site:

http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisle/js ... mcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

It's part # 6. The fluid collects on top of this area.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

That'll be tranny fluid. I wonder if it blows it out when you're out for a drive and the tranny fluid is flying around.

pmg88
Lude Dude

Post by pmg88 »

But the fluid looks more like oil (brownish) than the red. My fluid in the dipstick is red and level is not noticeable
dropping.Also the gears are shifting smoothly.