pulley replacement

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Bubba
Lude Dude

Re: pulley replacement

Post by Bubba »

Yes I did get an inductive timing light and placed the clamp on the plug closest to the timing belt. The figure on Page 5-18 indicates where the clamp should be placed. I could see the timing mark on the flywheel but could not adjust the distributor to make the marks line up. I didn't have any idle problems prior to replacing the belt. The way the engine idles seems to me to indicate the timing belt may be off a tooth on one of the cams plus the inability to adjust the distributor. And no I didn't replace the water pump so I shouldn't need to bleed any lines. I think I need to go back and check my timing belt alignment but wanted some comments before doing so. It does seem a little strange that the car runs well except for idling. And the idling has a kind of roughness that seems similar to the big fuel dragsters when idling. Greatly appreciate your expert comments and advice. Awaiting comments before proceeding further. Again, many thanks.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah, one of the cams is probably just off a tiny amount, potentially the intake cam (because the intake cam drives the distributor). I'm glad that you are seeing the timing mark, but can't center it. Once you get the cam gear where it should be everything should be fine.

Idling is a very sensitive time for an engine. Because the engine isn't yet spinning quickly it can't rely as much on the inertia of the engine (and indeed the intake/exhaust air) to ensure smooth operation.

Be doubly sure that when you line everything up again you have the tick marks on both cam gears level with the engine deck AND the TDC mark centered on the flywheel.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

By the way, congratulations on changing the timing belt yourself. Don't get discouraged yet. You're 99% there. Had you done something seriously wrong there would be no way you would've even gotten the car to start. A tooth or two on a cam gear amounts to a few degrees of mechanical advance or retard to the engine. Most engines will tolerate this and still start up (though idle/performance will suffer). Had you been more than a few cogs off, the car wouldn't have even started.

Bubba
Lude Dude

Post by Bubba »

Again, Thanks for your expert advice and comments. I'm old (66) and slow but I have some mechanical skills - was a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force back in the 60's. I don't usually do auto maintenance anymore but this crankshaft pully distruction made the car undriveable. I will get this right thanks to your help.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Off topic, but I'm sure a lot of us would love to see a post in the Off Topic forum about your time in the military. Did you spend any time in Vietnam? I'm sure you must have some great stories and pictures.

Bubba
Lude Dude

Post by Bubba »

Well, with much difficulty, I think I have the car running right. Just finished with a short test drive and all seems to be working okay. Had a very hard time getting the crankshaft bolt off again and then getting the timing belt aligned properly on the cam shafts took some time but the timing light indicates that everything is working right! Idles okay too. Will post more later. Again, I could not have done this without your expert advice. Many thanks.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Awesome. I was wondering if you got it all working.

We're happy to help. Glad you're back on the road.

Bubba
Lude Dude

Post by Bubba »

Update: Car still runs well and I think everything is back in place with no additional parts lying around.

For informational purposes, on page 5-9 of the maintenance manual shows a picture of a pulley holder attachment (p/n 07JAB-0010100) and Handle (p/n 07JAB-0010200). Are you familiar with this pulley holder and where should I try to buy it?

Would like to send a picture of broken pulley but need guidance on how to send the picture.

Thanks, Bubba

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You'll have to clarify which maintenance manual you are look at. When I looked at page 5-9 of the 1988 service manual I don't see the pulley holder you mentioned. However, I think I know which tool you're talking about. I believe the only way to get such a tool would be through Honda. I've never attempted to order one, but that would be the first place I'd ask.

Re: uploading your pictures.

If you use the full post editor to post a reply (by clicking 'Post Reply' below rather than clicking 'Quick Reply') it is possible to upload attachments with your post. You can just add your picture files as attachments.