Newbie needing cylinder head help!!

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Patrick
Prelude Enthusiast

Newbie needing cylinder head help!!

Post by Patrick »

i have a 1990 Si with the B21A1. Bought it with a blown head gasket, but after a pressure test the head had a 2inch hole in it. i have found a great deal on a B20A5 head that has been completely redone. i read on here the head should work, does it, and he also has the intake that has been ported, polished, and matched to the head. do i need to try and buy it from him also, or will my intake from the 2.1 be fine? any help would be great. thanks

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Newbie needing cylinder head help!!

Post by spiffyguido »

From what we've heard, yes the B20A5 head will bolt up just fine. They're very similar. You should be able to use the the intake from the 2.1 as well. The flanges are the same.

Patrick
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Thanks for the info! I will let you know how it ends up!

Patrick
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

spiffyguido wrote:From what we've heard, yes the B20A5 head will bolt up just fine. They're very similar. You should be able to use the the intake from the 2.1 as well. The flanges are the same.

forgot to ask if i can use my cams, which are in great shape, or do i need to use the B20A5 cams?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The B21A1 cams should work just fine. As far as I know, they're the exact same size with a slightly different lobe geometry. The B21A1 is really just a bored out B20A5 with fancy cylinder (FRM) sleeves. Almost all the parts are interchangeable between engines.

The only major difference between them is actually the intake system (which is still interchangeable) and the fact that the B21 was an OBD1 engine and the B20A5 is OBD0.

Patrick
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Great information, i really appreciate it!