Bigger Better Brakes for my race car and more power ???

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ticus007
Lude Dude

Bigger Better Brakes for my race car and more power ???

Post by ticus007 »

Hi all,
Well I'm here asking for advice on retro fitting some brakes on my 89 Prelude race car. Now can I for instance make some bigger brakes from say an Integra fit some how on my Prelude. Maybe with some machining or brackets. Might be asking for alot. Now is there some after market brakes available maybe. And then in the long run is it worth the work.

Is there anyone in our comunity that has any parts that will help me in this quest. If so PLEASE call me. Thanks guys.

Now the power question. I broke my engine (B20A5) last race. The bottom end is knocking very badly so it's toast. I do have another engine so .... ffeeeewwww... I can switch it out but I need more power. I know from info from this great site that I can switch out the head on my engine with the head from a B20A1 (am I right?) to get some more power. How much more do you guys think? Now are the cams better from that head and is that what is giving more power? Should I put in some performance cams in my B20A5 or if I do will I have to rebuild the whole motor to take the changes. Questions, questions, questions.

I love my Prelude but I have to make it better so what do you guys and girls think? For a race car It's very good but I need very very good now. I want to win a race or two....lol

I've put in a link for a race I was in on July 30th of this year 2011. I'm the white with yellow trunk Prelude #55. I get caught about 2 1/2 minutes in so watch for me. It was fun. The camera was on a 195 hp Prelude who did win the race. http://www.youtube.com/user/ThaAgrat?bl ... 03nKam74Q4

Anyway Thanks again and Please get back to me if anyone has a comment

Trev
from Vancouver Island B.C. Canada

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Bigger Better Brakes for my race car and more power ???

Post by spiffyguido »

The video is AWESOME! You had a nice little recovery after getting nudged in the corner. We're always glad to see people racing their Preludes at appropriate events. Full support!

Regarding the brakes, I have heard that certain 4th gen calipers will fit on the SI and SR 3rd gens with little modification. I've never done this myself, so I can't confirm it. However, from reading it sounds like the caliper mount will bolt up and all that is required is a small spacer to recenter it. In theory, you'd then only need a larger 4x100 rotor and you'd have yourself a low-budget big brake kit. Again, I haven't done it myself but I've seen internet posts of people doing it.

Power wise, I'm sure you've already seen the post on this site that suggests that a B20A5 head can be put on the B21A1 block. The point of this is to raise the compression and create a sweet squish zone. Since your racing series probably mandates that the engine remain NA, raising the compression is a good way to get power since you can't add turbo.

You could also just swap out the intake manifold and plenum. The intake system from the B21A1 has been proven to flow better than the system on the B20A5. You might be able to find a couple HP just by swapping your B20A5 intake with one from a B21A1.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

ticus007
Lude Dude

Post by ticus007 »

Thanks for your reply. Yep had fun in that race but since then I've had a set back with the car. The promoter of the track decided that he had to some how slow the fast cars to even things out so his idea was to make everyone not shift in the race. To choose a gear and stay in it. I wasn't to sure about this but I tried it. I lasted about 8 laps reving at 7000 in 2nd gear and the motor went out on me. Bottom end I think. White smoke and no power. It will restart when cool but in the pits I discovered a palm of my hand size oil puddle right under the fly wheel (right side looking at the car) side of the motor and a BIG knock. I have reved the car many times to 7 grand with no problem so maybe it was just it's time I don't know. Got to love the honda motor ehh.

I think my year is done with only 2 races to go but I will be ready for May 2012.

Any thought on what went? I think a bearing that unbalanced the crank which took out the seal and caused the leak. lol I don't know.

I will race the car next year but I have to make it get all of it's 135hp. I will try and find a B21A1 block and do the head swap. Seems to be a good idea.

If anyone is in Western Canada or Washington state and wants to help me with my car in any way such as working on her or selling me parts or with just email advise I would be very appriciative. email me at

ticus007@hotmail.com

Love the website.

Trev
from Campbell River BC Canada

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Trev,

Could be a bearing problem, especially since you're getting a loud knock. One of the main bearings probably decided to pack it in. Best thing for you to do is to remove the oil pan and the girdle and start poking around in there. You need to check your oil pan for broken parts that have fallen down and you will able to see the bearings. My guess is something isn't right. Don't turn over the engine....you don't want to flatten out your journals anymore than they might already be.

Good luck, and keep us posted. It's really cool to have you sharing your track experiences.

carbuilder
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by carbuilder »

ticus007 wrote:Thanks for your reply. Yep had fun in that race but since then I've had a set back with the car. The promoter of the track decided that he had to some how slow the fast cars to even things out so his idea was to make everyone not shift in the race. To choose a gear and stay in it. I wasn't to sure about this but I tried it. I lasted about 8 laps reving at 7000 in 2nd gear and the motor went out on me. Bottom end I think. White smoke and no power. It will restart when cool but in the pits I discovered a palm of my hand size oil puddle right under the fly wheel (right side looking at the car) side of the motor and a BIG knock. I have reved the car many times to 7 grand with no problem so maybe it was just it's time I don't know. Got to love the honda motor ehh.

I think my year is done with only 2 races to go but I will be ready for May 2012.

Any thought on what went? I think a bearing that unbalanced the crank which took out the seal and caused the leak. lol I don't know.

I will race the car next year but I have to make it get all of it's 135hp. I will try and find a B21A1 block and do the head swap. Seems to be a good idea.

If anyone is in Western Canada or Washington state and wants to help me with my car in any way such as working on her or selling me parts or with just email advise I would be very appriciative. email me at

ticus007@hotmail.com

Love the website.

Trev
from Campbell River BC Canada
I'm not from Washington but I would like to help you with Honda parts that you might need in the future.