S3 Blinking

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

GreyGhost
Prelude Enthusiast

S3 Blinking

Post by GreyGhost »

I have had a '90 Prelude SR since new without problems. Lately it has been having senior moments. Maybe four times in ten years and twice this year its had the following problem. It starts after maybe 30 seconds of cranking where it usually starts on first click. Then the S3 light blinks and it feels like the hand brake is on (it isn't). This usually happens at the worst time like on the ferry so I drive to somewhere turn the car off, turn it on again, and everything goes back normal and the blinking stops. Also the lockup gear sometimes fails to engage. Sounds like a tranny problem but why does it start hard?

NT

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: S3 Blinking

Post by spiffyguido »

I immediately thought of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=460

Follow the instructions on the second post to get the error code from your tranny ECU. Let us know what you find and we'll figure out what may be causing your trouble.

GreyGhost
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by GreyGhost »

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that it was the S3 not S4 light blinking but I'll check the error codes next week. That's if I don't break down on the Saltspring ferry.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Yes, I realized that you had a different light blinking, but the procedure for getting the error code will be the same.