Replacing the door hinge?

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

elspectro29
Prelude Guide
Prelude Model: 93 S and 91 Si

Replacing the door hinge?

Post by elspectro29 »

One of the issues I had on the back burner with my car was that the driver's side door sometimes wouldn't close all the way. Well, this week it started to not close to the point that the light stays on even when the door is closed (it does sag somewhat). I took the car to my usual shop where they said it was the hinge. I ordered a new hinge but I was wondering if I need any other parts to change as well (such as bushings, etc.). The shop said they didn't have the equipment to change it efficiently, so I may do it myself (I've done it on a previous vehicle, so I know the basic procedure).

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

elspectro29
Prelude Guide
Prelude Model: 93 S and 91 Si

Re: Replacing the door hinge?

Post by elspectro29 »

Additionally, the door started not opening from the outside. Is this related to the hinge or a separate issue?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Replacing the door hinge?

Post by spiffyguido »

The fact that your door isn't opening is probably just an alignment issue. The new hinge may resolve things. Doors sag a lot over time. They do need to have the hinges re-aligned or replaced after many years of use. If you replace the hinge, just be sure to align the door correctly. There may even be specs in the manual that detail the gaps that are supposed to exist.