need help with a few codes

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

danfadge
Prelude Enthusiast

need help with a few codes

Post by danfadge »

hey there im new to this site as i just purchased a used prelude this is my second 89 honda prelude si am planing to buy it and fix it up at the moment im pulling 3 codes, Code 3 MAP sensor, Code 13 Atmospheric pressure sensor, and Code 17 Vehicle speed sensor i know the code 17 i need to replace the speedo wire as the guy before me damaged it some how on the other 2 im wondering if this is somthing needing to be replaced or if there is an ajustment on the sensors? im also wondering if the code 3 is being pulled due to having an after market air intake installed (by previous owner) to "boost" performance?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: need help with a few codes

Post by spiffyguido »

Code 17 can be fixed as you indicated.

Code 3 and 13 are probably caused by a similar issue. First, double check that those sensors are wired up correctly. The air intake may be affecting these codes, although if the previous owner installed the intake correctly without deleting wires or sensors, everything should work fine.

danfadge
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by danfadge »

the new intake is a short pipe with a filter i dont see where or if he has the sensors hooked up if i got a picture of it would you be able to posibly give me some tips?

danfadge
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by danfadge »

there quite large but heres some pictures of the new air intake setup and the map sensor

danfadge
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by danfadge »

stumped so i located the map sensor hidden in a little box off to the side its all conected and setup (dont have a voltage meter or preasure gun) 1 hose was a little loose put that back on and ran it and she still pulls the code shut her down disconected it and im getting about the same performance that is leading me to beleave that its not the map sensor or the sensor is dead? any ideas would be great

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Check for leaks in your vacuum lines.

Finding a way to test the sensor would be ideal too. A cheap multi-meter can often be purchased for as little as 10 dollars.

danfadge
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by danfadge »

will get to it hopfuly this weekend took it for a short haul last night just to see any other posible issues with it and man does it ever try to flood so i guess no more test runs tell i fix those 2 codes :)

danfadge
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by danfadge »

so i swaped out the map sensor with a map from a 90's civic (cant find a prelude map sensor) but its all good and it works but now that thats in m having the idle issue time to fix that but im wondering if you dont fix the idle issue would that be enough to kill your map, and baro sensor? and does anyone have a spare baro sensor they will sell? cant find that anywhere that and a speedo cable :(

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Having an idle issue shouldn't hurt the sensors in any way, but you may continue to get ECU codes.
Try looking in a wrecker for a speedo cable and baro sensor. Otherwise try to get one from a major OEM parts retailer like hondaautomotiveparts.com

danfadge
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by danfadge »

the speedo i had to order from honda and im taking the baro sensor in tomorrow to show them cause there confused haha but hopfuly it all pans out :) and they can get me one that works