Engine dies when warm.

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

gkzalo91
Prelude Enthusiast

Engine dies when warm.

Post by gkzalo91 »

My Lude just randomly chugs and dies once my engine is warm. It usually happens when I'm on the freeway going 55+mph or going 4500rpm+.

And when I try to start the car, the engine turns but it doesn't start. After about waiting on the side of the freeway for about 30 mins.. Or when the engine cools down, it starts right up. This already happened twice. It's not my alternator, I'll have to check my spark plugs and fuel filter/relay.

Any idea?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

fabolousg4ever
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: Engine dies when warm.

Post by fabolousg4ever »

its either the main relay or the distributor cause i had the same problem not starting while warm was the main relay but the car cutting off could be the distributor but i know replace the main relay and it will fix the not starting when warm issue and might fix the cutting off issue to.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Engine dies when warm.

Post by spiffyguido »

I've seen similar behavior from Preludes with a defective coolant temperature sensor. A simple test can be conducted:

When your car stops running and won't start while hot, open the hood and disconnect the coolant temperature sensor (green (usually) plug right next to wear the upper radiator host meets the engine). If the car will start with the coolant temperature sensor disconnected, that's likely the source of your problems.